Peru
Joined 5234 days ago

76 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: French*, Finnish*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Arabic (classical), German, Russian

Message 1 of 5
28 February 2012 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Guys,

Here's the situation: in May of last year I started learning Russian with the old 1973 version of Assimil's Le Russe sans Peine. I made steady progress, not missing a day until I reached lesson 80 sometime in August. That's when, due to work, I had to put the Russian learning on hold...

It has remained on hold until right about now. I feel like I have the time to work on it everyday again, and my goal is to finish the book's 100 lessons within a few months. However, having been out of it for a good 6 months my level has dropped considerably. It's not catastrophic, because during those 6 months every now and then I would read some old lessons so I didn't forget everything.

I'm not really sure how to go about things now. Obviously I can't just begin with lesson 81 like nothing happened, I guess I would crash and burn if I tried that. Starting from zero sounds stupid too.

So what method would you recommend to get back on track ? What things should I do before I can pick up where I left off?
1 person has voted this message useful

Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 5160 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 2 of 5
28 February 2012 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
I don't know that the fundamental technique of review and revision with Assimil is any different from that which you might use with other courses, but the format makes it much easier:

1. Without using the book, start shadowing all the audio from lesson 1.
2. Note when you first start to miss a few words (perhaps around lesson 20 or 30), but keep going.
3. Note when you first lose the thread of what is going on (perhaps around lesson 40 or 50), but keep going for another few lessons as well to see whether this was just a blank spot or whether it really marks a breaking point.
4. When you only get the gist of several lessons in a row, that's where you should stop.

So, let's say you first missed a word in lesson 25 but didn't get lost until 50. Start reviewing by simply reading from lesson 25 aloud. You should be able to zip right up to or even past lesson 50. From that point, work through the lessons as if they were fresh, but expect to cover two or three rather than just one at one sitting until you get into the 70's. From that point, just work forward as you normally would.

Good luck!
3 persons have voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 5125 days ago

245 posts - 422 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 3 of 5
28 February 2012 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
If I were you, I'd start with lesson one and go for maybe 5-10 lessons per day as a review. After all, a lesson amounts to little more than 3 minutes of audio and a couple of pages of text. Do the first 30 Active and the remaining 50 Passive. Assuming you haven't forgotten too much, you should be able to breeze through the first 25-30 pretty quickly. Then gradually lower the number of lessons per day as you get closer to the one you had quit at.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 5
28 February 2012 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
the default recommendation is to go to the previous lesson, the one before it etc until there's one you're pretty much comfortable with. however specifically for Assimil this depends on how you plan to use it. if you did only the passive wave and want to do the active, it should be a good idea to find that breaking point, do a few lessons passively to get the hang of it and then start the active wave from lesson one.

but that's just one of 34594357 ways to use Assimil. first decide how you want to use it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mikael84
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Peru
Joined 5234 days ago

76 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: French*, Finnish*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Arabic (classical), German, Russian

Message 5 of 5
28 February 2012 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I plan on using, and have always used Assimil "the standard way", meaning the way that Assimil itself recommends... 50 lessons passive way only and then passive + active. I also use the shadowing technique on old lessons from time to time but I see it more as a bonus and mostly just do it for fun.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version