Triglot
United States
Joined 4699 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
11 March 2012 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
At http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowing there is an article that describes a way to work through an Assimil course using mostly shadowing. The article suggests moving through the course one lesson a day.
How long do you think it would take per day? Has anybody actually completed a whole course this way?
steve

edited a sentence entered from my phone

Edited by sfuqua on 11 March 2012 at 9:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 3
11 March 2012 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Not really, for shadowing specifically it recommends one NEW lesson a day. The lessons are very short (a couple of minutes) so it's better to slowly go through the course, adding one and after 5-10 "letting go" one every day.
It should probably be under an hour a day. Depends on how many lessons you do and how (including how many times) you do them. If you want to do every lesson very thoroughly it's better to do fewer per day.
It also depends on your level, on whether you've completed the book or not.

I've shadowed many lessons as an intermediate learner of Finnish and i think there were very few occasions when I did 1.5-2 hours.

yuriFromRoma
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4647 days ago

48 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: Italian*
Studies: English, Russian

Message 3 of 3
11 March 2012 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently using this method with Russian (Assimil 2002 - "Il russo senza sforzo", lesson 38 of 70). In my case, it takes at the very least an hour per day, and I do tons of repetitions/reviews. Moreover, I study at most 3/4 lessons a week, because I feel more comfortable with this pace than the one suggested in the article. An interesting fact I discovered about doing a lot of shadowing in such fashion is that I'm able to internalize (read: memorize by heart) a lesson without even making a conscious effort of doing so. In other words, I can "play" on my mind most of the lessons I shadowed many, many times. To be sincere, it gives me a very weird feeling, but I guess it's not a bad sign after all.

Besides, prof. Arguelles said it should take 30 minutes per session or so, if you are planning to do more than that per day you should split the learning process in more than one session (as I do), unless you are a seasoned language learner and/or you have some sort of super-focus power.

Edited by yuriFromRoma on 11 March 2012 at 11:56pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version