temujin89
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4741 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 7
12 March 2012 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Dear Language learnings,Polyglots.

I have a question regarding memorizing vocab and learning it efficient.
Currently i am Learning my Target language: Russian.
I already know Dutch/English and German these were quite easy for me.
Currently i have some problems with some long difficult words to remember.
I have enough time everyday to learn i use sites like Quizlet to use quizes to learn new
words/ Audiobooks and i talk on skype and listen to radio and watch movies and series.
Now i wonder if there are any good techniques for learning new vocab.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you very much.
1 person has voted this message useful

JiriT
Triglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4731 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 2 of 7
12 March 2012 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Dutch and German or English are similar languages, both in grammar and in vocabulary.
Russian is a different language. Learning vocabulary needs a lot of repetition. Memory
drill (Anki or word lists etc.), reading texts several times, listening to audio - it can
help. But it is quite normal, that similar languages are easier to learn and different
languages are more difficult. After learning some vocabulary and reading more texts and a
lot of listening you will be able to learn new words easier. For the beginning your
expectations should be smaller.
Psychology is very important whne you learn a foreging language. One thing is the
objective progress and the second thing is how you perceive it. It is good to have some
measuarable aim and to evaluate after some time how you were successful. E.g. to learn a
textbook in half a year, to learn 2000 new word from text in some period etc.
2 persons have voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 4 of 7
13 March 2012 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
I wonder how someone on the internet can actually help you with vocab studies.
In my experience, this is something you fight alone. Noone but you can stuff it into your brain, so to say.

I'm curious what kind of help you would expect though. Maybe I misunderstood your intention.

temujin89
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4741 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English

Message 5 of 7
13 March 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
With Skype i ment to practising(memorizing) the new words to use these words in a
conversation.
But i wonder if there is a good way to memorize better and faster new words.
right now i write down the words i hear often with conversations or news and seek the
meaning of this word and ask natives when i use it.
But what i would like to know is ways to memorize and learn vocabulary effective and
fast(as good as it can get)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6637 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 7
13 March 2012 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Break long words up and make sure you know all the ingredients, that is: affixes, endings and roots. In a language like Russian almost all long words are built on such small blocks, and on a given root you can build a whole family of related words. Using such relationships for your memorization will make it much easier.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 7 of 7
13 March 2012 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
I brute force vocabulary into my brain on memrise.
IMHO, it's all about input, and memrise (or any other word list or flash card deck) makes it comprehensible by nature.

The more pieces of the puzzle you get to see, the more your brain can work with when building up a web for your new words to sit in.

You will sweat blood and tears in the beginning, but it will become easier with each new word you memorized and each new word you were exposed to.
You will get there eventually, you just have to fight through the hard stages to the point where new words will take residence inside your head naturally, because you were able to anticipate certain facts about it due to connections made in the past.

Edited by atama warui on 13 March 2012 at 9:21pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version