Italy
ninuzzo.freehostia.c
Joined 4574 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Italian*

Message 1 of 2
12 March 2012 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Hi there,
I've lately been fascinated by Michel Thomas tapes. I know the Michel Thomas method is
copyrighted, but his teaching ideas aren't. That is similar methods can be conceived
and legally used by everybody, privately or even commercially, as long as they are not
named after the great polyglot and language teacher and their content is novel.

So, I have devised a simple method based on some Thomas' ideas, but tailored for
language tandems between two people who are starting to learn each other's language,
either from scratch or from a very basic initial level.

It is important that their levels are comparable, otherwise who knows more may easily
get bored. They communicate using a third language known enough well to both,
e.g. English, but not necessarily this one.

It is maybe easier to see my method in action rather than to put it into words. If you
are interested, please have a look at the transcript of a real session using it:

http://web.tiscali.it/insegnanteitaliano/german-italian-
tandem/Live_your_life_as_if_every_day_were_your_last.html

This dialogue has been annotated by me later on, to better explain some points. As you
can see, each partner acts both as a Michel-like teacher and a student on each step.
The prompt de? means that the German learner has to translate, it? asks
the Italian learner to translate.

BTW I am also looking for a German native who wants to learn Italian for German, using
this same method. Ideally someone aware of the structure of her/his own language and
curious to see how this method works and learn more about it too.

Any suggestion or criticism is welcomed!

Edited by ninuzzo on 12 March 2012 at 5:29pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ninuzzo
Italy
ninuzzo.freehostia.c
Joined 4574 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Italian*

Message 2 of 2
24 March 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
I am turning my language exchange sessions using this innovative method into a computer
program, useful to both partners for coaching. It runs in a browser:

http://ninuzzo.github.com/

Feel free to contact me if you speak German natively and want to try this method to
learn Italian. I have a few language friends already, but they are never enough. I am
especially looking for people who are aware of the syntax and structure of their
language and can explain that to me well, as I will do for Italian.

Edited by ninuzzo on 02 April 2012 at 7:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version