Groupie
United States
Joined 4685 days ago

77 posts - 133 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 14
16 March 2012 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
I've thrown in 20 new words today; I'll have exhausted the seeds in a week (it's a small
JLPT N5 set) so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks all.

Good for you!! Let us know how it goes.
1 person has voted this message useful

jerrypettit
Groupie
United States
Joined 5960 days ago

79 posts - 103 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 14
17 March 2012 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
> I've started at 50 words/day (80% retention) and raised that to 100 words/day (60%
retention).<

atama warui: What software are you using that you can set the retention rates at those
levels. I use both Anki and Supermemo, and in Supermemo the default is (as, I believe,
it is with Anki) 90%...but Supermemo can be adjusted down to 80%. How are you able to
get to the 60%?

eggcluck
China
Joined 4635 days ago

168 posts - 278 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 11 of 14
17 March 2012 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
I think he means % correct rather than any software settings, though anki does have a plugin that lets you manually adjust the forgetting index.

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4605 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 

Message 12 of 14
17 March 2012 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
I'm quite consciously keeping the number of "greenhouse" (short term memory) words down
to 10-20 at most and not adding further words until those have been "harvested" (i.e.
moved to the "garden" (long term memory).

Somebody likes plants. Anyway, I don't know what you mean by moving something to long term memory. Maybe if
you just tell us how you know it's there. Do your reps drop off to nothing?

You do a certain amount of studying and using the language every week. You keep seeing the same words over and
over again. The amount of studying/using you do will determine how much vocabulary you can truly absorb per day.
Your SRS gives you additional reps on vocabulary items, and helps things stick much faster than just using the
language, for most people. But the bottom line, and my overall point, is that if you put more items into your SRS than
you can truly absorb with your language usage, you will end up doing a lot of SRS reps, and wasting a lot of time. So
the optimum number of items depends on the amount of language usage. I wouldn't go over 10 words per hour of
usage per day, myself.

Serpent wrote:
What can be more important than making sure you enjoy your learning?

Not needing it to be enjoyable.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 13 of 14
17 March 2012 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
Yes, I was referring to the amount of words I got right.
First pass is always somewhere between 60 and 70%, depending on factors like how many katakana words are there (beneficial), how many words consist of items I can identify and, if I can't remember the word as one unit, construct, because I know the parts (beneficial), and so on.

I've been going at 100 words/day for a week now and some words just stuck some day. Sleep seems to be underrated. The mere fact I slept between two repetition cycles really made a difference.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4599 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 14 of 14
17 March 2012 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:

Somebody likes plants. Anyway, I don't know what you mean by moving something to long
term memory. Maybe if
you just tell us how you know it's there. Do your reps drop off to nothing?

That's just the memrise terminology. You start out with new words (that's "planting")
and they go into the "greenhouse" (which I assume is short-term memory). Then you
"grow" them for a while (i.e. they are tested regularly) and when the software thinks
you have learned them well enough they are "harvested" and end up in the "garden" (I
assume that this is long-term memory). I have no real say in any of this - the software
decides.

Stuff in the "garden" needs watering at some schedule determined by the software. There
are words in there that I've only been asked once or twice over the three weeks or so
that I've been using it.

Just like Anki, I can abandon a memrise session at any time. Quite what the effect is
on the internal statistics, I don't know.

The particular "course" that I've picked on only has 189 words in it. If I keep
planting 20/day then I'll have seen all the words in another week or so. I guess that
once they begin to stick in my memory I'll not need to repeat them too often. I don't
know what Memrise will do then. Perhaps it'll suggest I find another course? (I do see
some courses that have several thousand words - working through one of those would be a
long term project I guess).

I'm using Memrise as a supplement to the other things I'm doing: listening to CDs
during my daily commute, actively trying to learn various grammar points and working
through online courses, working through a grammar book, listening to (but not yet
understanding much of) various internet news outlets. It seems to be helping so far.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version