Spain
Joined 4836 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 1 of 2
17 March 2012 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Greetings!

So I'm about to be a senior next year for my undergraduate career, and I face a problem
many of my fellow classmates face: no formal language classes. Many of us are abroad
right now, and in the fall when we come back, most people are going to just be taking
classes for our majors (The majority of us are International Business with a functional
such as finance). I've been talking to some of my friends, and we will have all
finished taking language courses for our required minors, and lack the time to take
formal courses in our second or third foreign language. I had the idea of setting up
an exchange that would happen weekly, be relatively informal and very fun to get people
to come, and be set up so that we could keep up with our first second languages as well
as work on or start new ones.

My plan was to have people send me the languages they want to practice ahead of time,
and then come up with groups that would break off for 30min cycles. I thought a 2 hour
time block would be good, which would give us 4 blocks. People would practice at least
2 languages, and could in theory do a different one for each time block yielding 4.
I'd try and reserve a fairly large area of a restaurant at an off time, let's say
"prehappyhour" time, and we could chat in the TL's over apps and drinks. I feel like
this would be a great way to get us all to keep sharp in our TL's and to work on our
weaker, newer languages, as well as be a great social thing for students and faculty.

Has anyone else had experience setting up a large language exchange group with multiple
languages, not just an English/Something Else binary type that is popular in foreign
countries? I welcome all ideas.
1 person has voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4799 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 2
17 March 2012 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
My own experience in this area is less than satisfying. I live in a town with a major university, a fair-sized religious college, and a community college. Spanish classes are very popular and always overbooked, and several local private tutors run Spanish classes of their own which are likewise well attended. There is a local English-Spanish group such as you discuss, and there are seldom more that 3 or 4 people in attendance, with two being the most frequently seen number of members showing up. The official membership roles show a large membership, but almost nobody ever comes around to the meetings.

So maybe it takes more than just the opportunity to chat to draw people in. Personally, I'm not sure what it would take to insure good attendance. Good luck. I really hope it works out for you. I would dearly love to have a large active group like that near me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version