Norway
Joined 4568 days ago

3 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, English
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 4
19 March 2012 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
I've read most of the threads in this forum I found, and thought were relevant or interesting enough, but one question still remains unanswered.
When beginning with mandarin I'm really afraid of learning the wrong pronunciation. I know it takes 10 times longer to learn it correct if you learn it wrong from the beginning.
I have found two different pinyin charts with audio, so I can choose what syllable I want to hear and with what tone. My thought is that I could go through and learn all the different syllables by heart so I would never have to worry about mispronunciation
So my questions;
1. Is it even possible to learn all the syllables perfect?
2. Is it a waste of time trying to learn the "pinyin sounds" instead of trying to learn the actual chinese language?
Does these questions make sense? I've been avoiding the Pimsleur and Michel Thomas courses because I just don't trust my ears to hear the right pronunciation, and even less my own mouth to be able to say the correct words with the correct pronunciation.
I'm waiting to get my Assimil Chinese course, at least then I can se the pinyin phonetics at the same time I'm trying to hear the differences in pronunciation. But what does phonetic romanization help me if I don't know by heart how it should be pronounced, or at least how it in theory should be pronounced? My goal is to forget about pinyin when thinking of words, but I do really want to learn the pronunciation correct from the beginning, and I can't stress that enough.
1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4612 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 2 of 4
19 March 2012 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
It's of course not a waste of time to learn how to read pinyin. There's probably no other way around anyway.
When I've started learning Mandarin, I found that reading the IPA description of pinyin was the most effective way to learn the difference between close sounds (zh/ch or others), because my native friends seemed unable to help, except by repeating the sounds over and over.

And for your question 1, you can learn how to pronounce in a very standard way the sounds, but of course when you'll speak these sounds will undergo assimilation, and even more when you listen to it!

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5315 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 3 of 4
19 March 2012 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Pinyin is your friend. If you understand from the start that you are not to assume that pinyin spelling corresponds to English sounds, and if you learn what each letter stands for, then it will allow you to find the accurate pronunciation of any word for the entire duration of your studies.

As for learning a chart, I suppose that's one way to do it. I would actually concentrate on useful words containing the sounds. This way, you can also feel what these sounds are like when you also have a consonant at the beginning of the word, or a nasal consonant at the end (which slightly nasalizes the vowel). And you will be building a small vocabulary at the same time.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6516 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 4
19 March 2012 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
This is the millionth time* I post this link on these forums, but it remains the undisputed king of Mandarin pronunciation guides: Sinosplice Mandarin pronunciation

* It's not actually the millionth time

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version