Triglot
United States
Joined 4699 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 1
24 March 2012 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
Recently, I've been shadowing Assimil Spanish with Ease for a couple of weeks. I got about halfway through SwE using only the basic Assimil instructions, and then started experimenting with shadowing because I was disappointed with my active skills halfway through the book.

I've experimented with shadowing while reading L2 text, while reading L1 text, and shadowing blind. I've seen rapid changes in my Spanish abilities since I started shadowing an hour or so a day. Spanish is ringing in my head hours after I finish. I find myself mumbling Spanish while going to sleep. Perhaps it's insanity at last, but I bet there's some pretty interesting language changes going on in my brain.

Pardon me if I'm the kid with the new toy :)

What do you think the results would be if you simply shadow the living daylights out of an Assimil text, shadowing with L2, L1, and shadowing blind -- shadowing and reviewing until you can sing through each lesson with a pretty good imitation of the rhythm and tune of each lesson? Shadowing with L1 text would assure understanding, shadowing with L2 text would assure basic reading skills, shadowing blind would assure close attention to sound. Writing would be weak, but what about other skills?

Would you memorize all the dialogs, but not learn the language? Would you get passive skills without getting any active skills?

If Assimil lessons last about 60-90 seconds after the pauses are cut out, you could get through a single lesson 40-60 times in an hour. Or you could shadow it 10 times the first day and then review it once a day over the next 30 to 50 days. One could add a new lesson to the sequence each day and drop the oldest one. Even it the arithmetic is off, or an hour of shadowing is too much (I usually stumble a bit and then get a "second wind" to finish up the hour), it still seems possible to do a massive amount of shadowing while getting through an Assimil book if you only shadow.

Would this sort of study produce similar results to more complex systems of study? Or would death from boredom strike before the project could be completed?

Wouldn't this work just as well for an audiobook with L1 and L2 texts?

steve

Edited by sfuqua on 24 March 2012 at 6:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version