United States
Joined 5466 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 13
26 March 2012 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
[Note to the moderators: I'm not sure where to put posts about intensive reading tools.
Please feel free to move this post to another section.]

Are you sometimes frustrated by LingQ? Do you wish you could install Learning with
Texts in 2 minutes and use it from your phone? Are you trying to read a huge amount of
L2 text?

If so, I'd love to pick your brain.

Why? Maybe Steve Kaufmann will enhance LingQ. Maybe J. Pierre will get some cool ideas
for LWT. Maybe I'll even get inspired to hack something together myself, though that
currently seems unlikely. :-)

To keep things simple, perhaps we should pick the 3 features that we want the most. For
example, here are mine:

1. I wish I could instantly import web pages from anywhere: From my browser, from a
link sent via email, and from Android's "share this link" feature.

2. I wish I could look up words and phrases on my phone, using either a built-in
dictionary or a list of websites.

3. I wish I could I could push a button and export the 100 most important words to my
Anki deck, with context and L2 definitions.

How about you? Thank you for helping build a list of ideas for future programmers!
1 person has voted this message useful

t123
Diglot
South Africa
https://github.com/t
Joined 5545 days ago

139 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans

Message 2 of 13
27 March 2012 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
My top 3 were:
1. Ability to use a software dictionary and not have a rollover/dictionary pop up on every single word click.
2. Ability to read longish texts, minimum of a chapter at a time, and parallel texts for LR.
3. Be simple to upload, organise and find texts and be able to see all your languages simultaneously. What's up with having to change
between lanugages all the time?

I got inspired (or annoyed enough) and just hacked together my own :) I was planning on adding grabbing text directly from the Wikipedia
because they have a nice API, but I find copy & paste of the text I want works better.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5466 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 13
27 March 2012 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
t123 wrote:
3. Be simple to upload, organise and find texts and be able to see all your
languages simultaneously. What's up with having to change between lanugages all the time?

That's a really good question. It's not like the software should even have to ask;
automatic language identification is a (mostly) solved problem.

What kind of electronic dictionaries did you use in your program?

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6883 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 13
27 March 2012 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
1. It would be great if the software could recognize split/phrasal verbs, or (probably
more realistically) if it could let us select non-consecutive words/morphemes to look
up or add to our database.

2. I don't know about LingQ, but LWT is hopeless at recognizing word boundaries in
Japanese. I know it's possible to do well, because in my opinion rikai-chan and rikai-
kun (the browser addons for Firefox and Chrome, respectively) do an excellent job of
this.

3. This one is hard to explain. When the user sets up an online dictionary, the usual
procedure is to look up "TEST" or something else with the dictionary and copy-paste the
resulting URL into a field on the user settings page. But for some online dictionaries,
the URL doesn't change when you look up a word. In these cases it would be nice if the
software could at least enter our selected word into the dictionary's "search" field so
that we only have to click a button to go to the results page.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 27 March 2012 at 7:12am

t123
Diglot
South Africa
https://github.com/t
Joined 5545 days ago

139 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans

Message 5 of 13
27 March 2012 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
That's a really good question. It's not like the software should even have to ask;
automatic language identification is a (mostly) solved problem.

What kind of electronic dictionaries did you use in your program?

Not so much having to choose language when displaying a particular text (although Google has an autodetect API), but just listing all of them. I guess if
you only have one or two languages it's OK. It such a nuisance in both LingQ and LWT that before you can do anything you must pick a language.

By software dictionary I meant a user program (your no 2, but on a computer instead of phone). I use GoldenDict and I have a Langenscheidt German
dictionary. What's really irritating in LingQ is the popup on rollover, it makes it impossible to select a word so I can't use my dictionary and their
builtin one is pretty rubbish. LWT works much better in this case.

I'm planning on doing Anki support this weekend, and once my shiny new iPad arrives I'll look at mobile support.

@Lucky Charms
Are you parsing your text with Mecab beforehand?

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5800 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 6 of 13
27 March 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Silverlight streaming video subtitle download.

Very often subtitles are very poorly synchronised, usually late, and disappear too quickly. For subtitled YouTube videos, there are browser applications that enable you to directly download subtitles to a text file. Once in a text file, you can read along. Then they are perfectly synced, never late, and stay as long as you like. Subtitle text files are far superior for L2 learning than just subtitles.

However, most good subtitled material on the Internet is streamed in Silverlight or other media. There doesn't seem to be any way to capture or download the subtitles to a text file. I have searched everywhere. The only current reasonable compromise is a screen-capture video recorder, such as WMRecorder.

So my wishlist is a Silverlight subtitles downloader.

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4826 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 7 of 13
27 March 2012 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Do you wish you could install Learning with
Texts in 2 minutes and use it from your phone?

I am able to install LWT in 5 minutes. It's easy in my opinion.

I am able to use LWT on my phone, but the phone screen is too small, and the dictionary web pages contain too
many ads. So buy an iPad if you want to run it on a mobile device. And don't forget to blame Apple for Mobile
Safari's poor frameset implementation.

Lucky Charms wrote:
...but LWT is hopeless at recognizing word boundaries in
Japanese.

Use Mecab, insert spaces automatically, and import into LWT. You can also use LWT with 1 char = word setting
and import a dictionary with the 10,000 most frequent words. Makes it a lot easier then.

Edited by lwtproject on 27 March 2012 at 4:07pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5315 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 8 of 13
27 March 2012 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
For Japanese, I use Wakaru on my iPad. You can load any text from the web and clicking on a word brings up the dictionary at the bottom of the screen. It can also create automatic flashcards. Not bad.

I wouldn't mind an app that automatically translates vocabulary onto a second line and aligns it with the original. No work needed, everything is there is you need it.

However, until they make a Japanese app that includes pitch accent, this kind of activity is always going to be marginal for me.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version