Triglot
United States
Joined 4699 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 5
31 March 2012 at 6:45am | IP Logged 
Is it possible to memorize a big chunk of L2 material, say an Assimil with Ease book, and not learn how to speak the language, assuming that you know the meaning of what you are memorizing?

Many language learning methods seem to be built around memorizing, yet you hear people worrying that they are memorizing dialogs rather than "translating" them.

Frankly, at my humble A2-ish level of Spanish, I sound best when I am throwing out a sentence straight from _Spanish with Ease_. When I build my own sentences, I do best when I graft together pieces of what I have "memorized". Is this a bad thing? I seem to remember going through a stage like this with other languages I've learned. You know half a sentence from here, half a sentence from there, a word from somewhere else, splice it together and say it.

steve

Edited by sfuqua on 31 March 2012 at 6:46am

1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4637 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 2 of 5
31 March 2012 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
It's certainly possible to memorize chunks of a foreign language without
learning the language. For example: it's not uncommon for second-generation Muslims to
memorize large chunks of the Koran without knowing Arabic well (or sometimes even at
all).*

Of course, that's an extreme. I think we all splice and dice a little even in our
native language, and it's not bad unless the memorization becomes a crutch.

Tommus's Dutch islands topic** advocates using short pre-memorized islands of speech as
a way to grease the wheels of a conversation. This isn't exactly the fear you're
talking about though.

*Here are a couple informal discussions I pulled from Google that tangentially mention
this fact:
http://abooali.wordpress.com/chapter-2/
http://debate.org.uk/topics/history/quran.htm

**http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp ?TID=31482

Edited by Hekje on 31 March 2012 at 8:50am

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4591 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 5
31 March 2012 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
It is possibly to memorize a language without learning it. But what happened here is for me only natural.

I learn any language with any method in small chunks. I store together "I am going", "I went", I go" in one shelf, and "to the town", "to the village" ... in other shelf. At the beginning, my recall was slow. The sentence "I am going to the town" had a silence in the middle - and now I can recall both parts much faster.

Does the pause in a sentence means one didn't learn to speak the language? IMHO, it simply means one did learn it just enough to speak, but not well enough to speak fluently on his/her level.
In the beginning, it is a personal decision for me. Will I limit myself to learning slower or will I go through the material faster with the provision that such pauses in speech are acceptable? The later has one advantage for me. One needs certain amount of repeats to recall such chunk of language fast. Going through more material means I get the repeats too, only they happen naturally through use, not through drilling.

In certain sense, this is also one of the differences between Michel Thomas and Pimsleur approach. One gives you time to think, the other gives you certain amount of time to answer.

Javi
Spain
Joined 5915 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 4 of 5
31 March 2012 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:
Is it possible to memorize a big chunk of L2 material, say an Assimil
with Ease book, and not learn how to speak the language, assuming that you know the
meaning of what you are memorizing?

Many language learning methods seem to be built around memorizing, yet you hear people
worrying that they are memorizing dialogs rather than "translating" them.

Frankly, at my humble A2-ish level of Spanish, I sound best when I am throwing out a
sentence straight from _Spanish with Ease_. When I build my own sentences, I do best
when I graft together pieces of what I have "memorized". Is this a bad thing? I seem
to remember going through a stage like this with other languages I've learned. You
know half a sentence from here, half a sentence from there, a word from somewhere else,
splice it together and say it.

steve

I think that when you repeat an Assimil lesson so many times that you come to know it
almost by heart, AND you know the meaning in the right page AND you look thoroughly
into the structures in the left page that are new to you, reflecting on how they are
formed and how each part contributes to the whole meaning, AND you read the small
grammatical notes, then learning the language is somehow a side effect. That's why they
use the terms "assimilation" and "without effort". It's only natural that you know
those chunks better than the ones you consciously build using explicit grammatical
rules. Actually I think it would be great memorising texts that are relevant to you,
not just my tailor is rich, but my family, my work, my favourite film, etc. That way
you have those chunks readily available and, like with the Assimil texts, you're
drilling patterns that you can reuse anytime you want.

Now, if you skip all that but the actual memorisation, then I've got no idea what could
happen. Singers do often memorise foreign language versions of their songs. I suspect
that you could be memorising foreign sons for ever provided that you always forget the
previous one, but there can only be so many songs that you know at any given moment
without actually knowing the language.

Edited by Javi on 31 March 2012 at 5:53pm

Kyle Corrie
United States
Joined 4763 days ago

175 posts - 464 votes 

Message 5 of 5
31 March 2012 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Of course it's possible. But what would be the point?

The best example I can think of is the movie 'La Cité des Enfants Perdus' (The City of
Lost Children'. Ron Perlman can't speak any French, but he managed to memorize his
entire dilogue in order to film an entire movie in the language.

Of course, in his case he got paid and was able to add to his resumé. For most
practical reasons I don't think it'd make sense to do such a thing.

If you're interested in watching a short scene of him doing it then click the link
below.

La Cité des Enfants Perdus - Petit
frère

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version