koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5802 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 1 of 7
02 April 2012 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Since the past year - since the number of languages I'm working on have increased -
I've been struggling a lot to find ways to keep studying the languages I already know
and it makes me wonder if the methods I'm using are really being effective.

There are languages I speak that I've learned to an intermediate level, so I feel
comfortable using them but I would still like to speak them in an advanced level (C1>)
and thereby improve my diction.

I have been using 5-6 languages daily and sometimes I feel overwhelmed, specially when
switching languages. In my study routine I always try to divide my free time to study
all of them on the same day. Well, I can't say I really study them in a traditional
fashion with textbooks, but I get native materials and media in the target language to
do that.

So, how do people who speak 6+ languages keep studying their languages? Do you use all
the languages on the same day or do you think it's better to divide the task in days?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 7
02 April 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
koba wrote:
I have been using 5-6 languages daily and sometimes I feel overwhelmed, specially when switching languages.
This too shall pass :)
If you continue, eventually it'll be very easy to switch.
I think twitter is a great resource for keeping in touch with your languages, btw. Tweets appear as they are posted so my timeline can be: portuguese-italian-spanish-german-finnish. For example. The more you switch the easier it gets.

Apart from setting various languages everywhere (software, sites) and finding things you like (twitter accounts, music etc), I think there's no need to artificially make sure you study each language daily. If you love the language, you'll use it enough not to forget it. If not, find some interesting/fun stuff that will help you develop good habits.
Also, do you use SRS? For me that's a tool for reliving my best moments in my target languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5268 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 7
02 April 2012 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
I have been wondering about this myself. I struggle hard to keep up my old languages as well as learning
new ones. My Italian in particular has suffered badly lately, and I will need to do a lot more there. I do not
follow any particular system. I just do what I want to do when I want to do it. At the beginning of the year I
identified the three languages that I wanted to learn, or learn better. The other I just consider my " upkeep
languages" which normally do not get too much attention. The last two challenges 6 WC and Tadoku have
helped me focus though. The 6 week challenge helped me focus on Russian and the Tadoku challenge
helped me focus on German and Italian and pushed me into reading Russian. At the beginning of the year I
also set goals as for how much I would read/ or films I would watch to help me keep the other languages
alive. I could never do all my languages every day, because that would not leave me enough time to learn
the new languages. I am impressed at those who can make that work though!

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5064 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 7
02 April 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

I think twitter is a great resource for keeping in touch with your languages, btw. Tweets appear as they are posted so my timeline can be: portuguese-italian-spanish-german-finnish. For example. The more you switch the easier it gets.

I'm a BIG fan of using Twitter for language-learning purposes. You get bite-sized chucks of information in a language, and if something interests you, you can click through to see a complete story or post. And it really doesn't take up much of your day.

R.
==

JiriT
Triglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4731 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 5 of 7
02 April 2012 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
I do not know so many languages. But how study say German and English? I believe, one
can study some amount of time a day or a week. First, most people go to work and have
only a limited amount of time. Secondly, even if one has a day off, one is not able to
study say 16 hours a day (most people). When we consider a memory work, one can learn
say 30 new words a day. One can learn it in one language or in more languages. But the
memory capacity is roughly the same. I believe, it is best to concentrate on one
language. For instance, I use memory drill for German vocabulary (and do some reading
and a lot of listening). But I can repeat my English vocabulary simply by listening and
reading. In fact, I do not learn English, but I intentionally use it. If you know some
language pretty well, it is not necessary to read in it every day. So, one can learn
one language, say German, intensively. A lot of listening and reading, some memory
drill and maybe grammar drill. Besides, one can use a language, he knows well, for
instance listening to the radio and reading. Some news article or a book. Just for
pleasure. And I believe, it is possible to learn a third language. Not very
intensively, with the aim to learn some beginner textbook with the basic grammar and
vocabulary of say 1200 word in a year. To learn the third language twice a week for
half an hour and daily short listening, say 10-15 minutes and a short memory drill for
vocabulary.

Edited by JiriT on 02 April 2012 at 9:20pm

koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5802 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 6 of 7
03 April 2012 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
I have never used Twitter because I have never seen the point of it but I think it's
worth a try.

I will try to dwell more on literature as well instead of just watching TV/listening to
music in the languages I want to keep studying, because that's mostly what I do and it
hasn't been so effective, except for maybe Hungarian, which I spend more time studying.

arturs
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 5205 days ago

278 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian, English

Message 7 of 7
04 April 2012 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
I don't know your weekly schedule etc., but usually I have more to do on the first days of the week, so I put the languages that are at a higher level in the beginning of the week, because they need only some listening and reading stuff and that can be done anywhere at any free time. The languages that need more study, I put on the end of the week because then I have time to sit down and do more serious studies. Whenever you have some free time and you have done everything that was scheduled concerning languages, you can do something for another language.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version