United States
Joined 4980 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 1
04 April 2012 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
Can I pull arbitrary content from the web and display it in anki:
somehow populate fields (permanently) or at least download and display the web page (anew each time)?
For example, display a wikipedia page, a dictionary entry, an image, sound or video, any static or dynamic pages from the web?

Can I do this somehow easily by mucking about with fields, layouts, models, or some other already present features such as
localize media/Media URL/Download Missing media?

Is there some HTML/CSS that can be entered somewhere in anki to fetch all this magically. (I tried object embed but it doesn't
work for me.)

Can this be done in some automatic, general way by say exporting the deck and using some other application to fill this data and
then importing it back.

Is any of this possible in the new and shiny Anki 2.0 (still in beta I think, I haven't tried it, anyone know when it's coming
out anyway)?

Are there some plugins that can do that kind of thing for user specified content (i.e. I personally decide which content to pull
and from where)?

How hard would it be to write personal plugins like that for specific sources that I might want to use (with a background in
programming but no knowledge of Python or anki and its frameworks).

Thanks!

I'm not an expert at using anki, so please don't hesitate to give obvious solutions.
But FYI and to save time here's what I think I know I can do:
I know I can make a link to say wiki.com/{{Expression}}. But it's just a link that opens in an external browser.
I can display a local image or play a sound file. But only locally.
I know there's plugins that can fetch audio from GoogleTTS or some specific asian dictionaries. So at least these kinds of
things are possible. But not for general URLs.
I know there's a plugin that allows one to browse google images inside anki and select a picture to enter into a field. Very
cool, but specific to google images.
I know there's a Google Translate plugin, but it doesn't work for me anyway.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version