mmiller82
United States
Joined 4369 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 1 of 10
29 December 2012 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Does anyone know what dialect the English Assimil Arabic with Ease is?

Thanks! I can't find it.

Edited by mmiller82 on 29 December 2012 at 4:22am

1 person has voted this message useful

MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5095 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 2 of 10
29 December 2012 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
According to a reviewer on Amazon, it is MSA. That is probably not the most reliable source, but it's better than nothing.

SprachMensch
Germany
Joined 4195 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 3 of 10
29 December 2012 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
Quote from old course book
"The kind that concerns us in this book is what might be called modern international Arabic - the written and spoken language used by literate people from all parts of the Arab world to communicate with one another.It is the language of newspapers, of correspondance, of business, of radio , of television...."

The newer version teaches msa too ,in the German edition called "modernes Hocharabisch".

BrianDeAlabama
Groupie
United States
Joined 4358 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 10
01 January 2013 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Hey I just bought Living Languages' Arabic Complete Edition. I was also considering
trying to find the New Testament & Quran on mp3/cd for my iPod. A future dialect I am
leaning toward learning is Eastern Arabic. Does anyone know of specific audio Qurans
in MSA or Eastern Arabic? I'm in the process of acquiring study materials for Arabic
but probably won't have a chance to study Arabic for at least one year.

Also I know the forum has a no religion or politics rule but people would do well to
get the New Testament on mp3/cd for their target languages. I have been messing around
with Spanish off and on for a total of around 2-3 years of moderate to serious study in
the last 10 years.

A couple of months ago since I started listening to the New Testament in Spanish I am
able to understand around 75%-80% of the sermons at the Hispanic ministry at church.
Before I started listening to the New Testament in Spanish I maybe understood around
30%-40% but in just one month's time I doubled my comprehension. I listen to each
chapter at least 5 times before moving on to the next. I also read along silently at
least once and read aloud at least once.

I plan on using this method for all of my target languages. College is crippling my
serious study time! Plus I work 40-50 hours a week.

Have any of you Arabic students considered buy the Arabic New Testament and/or Quran on
cd/MP3? That should help you with comprehension quickly. You have 1st,2nd and 3rd
person, verbs in all tenses, nouns and many other important parts of speech. Just
listen to a 5 minute chapter over and over in your iPod. Right now I'm doing that with
my anemic study schedule of Spanish and I am loving it. How about some of you Arabic
students try that if it seems like a good idea to you and let me know how it goes?

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5184 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 5 of 10
03 March 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
BrianDeAlabama wrote:
Hey I just bought Living Languages' Arabic Complete Edition.

Is this the one you bought? Is it any good? Does it use the Arabic script throughout? If so, does it indicate vowels?

I've been curious about this series, particularly the Arabic, Chinese and Japanese offerings, but have not been able to see a preview of the actual contents.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4490 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 6 of 10
03 March 2013 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Does Assimil use vowelled texts?

BrianDeAlabama
Groupie
United States
Joined 4358 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 10
03 March 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:

Is s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362328112&sr=1-1&keywords=Living+Langua ge+Arabic">this the one you
bought? Is it any good? Does it use the Arabic script throughout? If so, does it indicate vowels?

I haven't began to study Arabic yet. But I looked through it and yes it does use Arabic from the beginning level.
The phrases are in Arabic script, English and a phonetic pronunciation guide. It comes with 3 books: Essential,
Intermediate & Advanced. It also comes with a 4th book, Script guide aka Arabic writing guide AND a blank
notebook.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5184 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 8 of 10
04 March 2013 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
Does Assimil use vowelled texts?

The first volume from the old L'Arabe sans peine from which I believe the English version has been adapted doesn't use vowels, but it includes a transliteration alongside the text. For the second volume the transliteration is dropped, although it was offered in a separate booklet which is now very difficult to obtain.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version