Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4327 days ago

45 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 3
10 February 2013 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
I recently found this article which may be of interest to some of you about a 1917 book written by a Canadian missionary in western china.

Its an insightful look at the daily linguistic and cultural challenges that faced western missionaries. And whats even better is the entire book onlineentire book online for the curious. Much of the advice is still relevant. No matter how much technology we gain, there is no substitute for the basics.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4327 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 2 of 3
17 February 2013 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Super great! I'm assigned to a foreign mission in Chongqing right now (which is a two and
a half hour fast train ride away from Chengdu) so this book pulls some heart strings.
I've browsed through the start of the book. Quaint in a fun and ticklish way and an
absolutely wonderful read so far!

I love it. Thanks a lot Vegemighty.
2 persons have voted this message useful

zhanglong
United States
Joined 4768 days ago

322 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 3 of 3
25 February 2013 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
It's a lovely article and quite nice to look at. I love reading about what Westerners in China have been able to accomplish, especially without benefit of internet access, MP3 files, and Anki. :)

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version