Diglot
United States
Joined 4481 days ago

101 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: English, Amharic*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 1 of 12
11 February 2013 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
At the moment, I am studying French full-time and have come across something that leaves
me perplexed--the distribution of open and closed o's in French. The rule functions well
enough with the eu digraph and ai/e, but it seems to me that syllabification is
completely ignored in the distribution of open and closed o's. For example, I read that
"phantomatique" contains an open o, although if broken apart, it would become: phan-to-
ma-tique, leaving the o in an open syllable. Thus, following the "rules", that o should
have been closed, but it isn't. I also believed that open/closed distinctions were the
reason for the writing of words like "homme" and "bonne" with double letters and that
words ending in -one and -ome were to be closed. Yet, in the word "téléphone", the o is
open, as it is (optionally, i believe) in "polygone". I do realize that southern speakers
tend to follow the "rules" more, but I am modeling my speech on the Parisian accent, so
help with this would be appreciated. Thank you.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5220 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 12
11 February 2013 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Fantomatique has a closed o, or so says Le Petit Robert, as does fantôme.

However, in several dialects of French, closed o tends to disappear, so many would say fantôme with an open o, which would be unthinkable for speakers of other dialects (such as mine). For many, the distinction between cote and côte no longer exists, for instance. This issue is probably, more than anything else, at the source of your confusion.

As for the spelling of single or geminate consonants, I think you'll have to look at etymology more than pronunciation.

Edited by Arekkusu on 11 February 2013 at 4:15pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4478 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 3 of 12
11 February 2013 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
I've tried to pay attention to the pronunciation by my French colleagues (admittedly many of them are from Alsace, but they speak pretty "standard" French), and it is very difficult to hear any clear difference between open and closed o, like in the example Arekkusu referes to (cote-côte). I guess that it follows the same development as for open and closed a, /a/ et /ɑ/ (patte/pâte) or /œ/ et /ø/ (jeune/jeûne), which have become interchangeble in many French dialects, and including people who speak "standard" French.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4546 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 12
11 February 2013 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
This distinction is maintained in Belgian French, usually (maybe under influence of the
Dutch language, where vowel quality and length is important?)

According to the French wikipedia on Belgian French:

Le parler des locuteurs belges a cependant de nombreux traits communs 53:
maintien d'une opposition entre [a] et [aː] (patte et pâte se prononcent différemment)
;
maintien d'une opposition entre [ɛ̃] et [œ̃] (brin et brun se prononcent différemment) ;
maintien d'une opposition entre [ɛ] et [ɛː] (mettre et maître se prononcent
différemment) ;
maintien d'une opposition entre au [o] et o [ɔ]: peau, beau, d'eau ne riment pas avec
pot, bot, dos.
prononciation de la finale -osse avec o ouvert bref [ɔ]: fosse, grosse riment avec
bosse mais pas avec fausse, Beauce
prononciation de [ɛ] au lieu de [e] dans les syllabes ouvertes atones (les est prononcé
[lɛ]) ;

One of the consequences of this trait is that in Belgium, the conditional and future
tense are not pronounced the same (as they are not in standard French either), and thus
Belgians make much less mistakes with that stumbling block.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5220 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 5 of 12
11 February 2013 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
maintien d'une opposition entre au [o] et o [ɔ]: peau, beau, d'eau ne riment pas avec pot, bot, dos.

Open o in an open syllable word-finally? Really?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4546 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 12
11 February 2013 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
That sounded weird to me too, to be honest, but I copied it from the wiki. However it is
true that in Belgium the vowels sound a bit different, just because Belgian French has
been influenced by Dutch (there are plenty of loans in use in Belgian French that would
never be accepted in standard French. I for example would say "kot" for a student's
dormitory, as in Flemish).

If you want to know more, I suggest that you hit up the wiki page and check the source, I
just copied the first couple lines about vowel pronunciation, there are some other
differences as well (for example, loanwords with a "w" are pronounced /w/ in Belgium, not
/v/ - 'wagon' and not 'vagon'.

michaelyus
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4404 days ago

53 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Italian, French, Cantonese, Korean, Catalan, Vietnamese, Lingala, Spanish
Studies: Hokkien

Message 7 of 12
12 February 2013 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
I thought the rule in unstressed syllables (mainly non-final syllables in polysyllabic
words) that the "o" was realised as "o moyen", of short length, between [ɔ] and [o] in
standard French. But the "o moyen" is now usually realised as [ɔ], especially in French
from France (and on a side note is being fronted ever more towards cardinal [ɞ]).

For me, what has always been a source of confusion how stress works for disyllabic
words and how this affects the distribution of the open/close /e/ and /o/ vowels. E.g.
oser and poser I always use [o] despite its not being the non-final syllable (which
would lead me to default to [ɔ]). I've always rationalised it as being because in
infinitives in -er and -ir the stress is not as firmly on the end syllable; hence
having to check whether /ɔ/ or /o/ is employed in such disyllabic verbs. Compare it
with pronouncing "j'oserai" as [ʒɔz(ə)ʁe] with [o] having changed to [ɔ] by its
position in a polysyllabic word. I don't know how other speakers across the
Francophonie realise that.

But it's been a long time since I've read anything on "la loi de position" with respect
to vowels in standard classical French, much less anything on the changes happening!

Edited by michaelyus on 12 February 2013 at 2:37am

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4507 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 8 of 12
12 February 2013 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
You shouldn't forget about the existence of semi/closed ~ semi/open vowels à la Spanish/Latin/Croatian.

In many situations, either open O/E or close O/E can be pronounced as ''o/e moyen'', which is neither open or close.

Furthermore,
more often than not, modern Parisian French does not ''respect'' vowel qualities indicated in French dictionaries, just like Milan Italian does not ''respect'' Italian vowel distribution shown in Italian dictionaries.

--
''(i) Despite what has been said in 10.6.4, it must be noted
that there is a widespread tendency, in open unstressed syllables, to use instead of either /e/ or /ε/ an intermediate vowel
(known in French as e moyen), i.e. a vowel whose degree of
aperture is between those of /e/ and /ε/;
instead of /e/: défend , effort, présence , téléphone; this also applies to the determiners les, des,mes, tes, ses and ces, e.g. les hommes, des fruits, mes amis;
instead of /ε/: embêtant, pêcher , prêter, maison ; this also applies to the verb forms (tu) esand (il, elle)est, e.g. tu n’es pas beau, il est là.
(ii) Furthermore, many speakers sometimes or always
even use /e/ instead of e moyen in words which, under 10.6.4,
would otherwise have /ε/, e.g. pêcheur , profession, laideur, prêter, maison,
aimer , baiser , aider , cesser , neiger , meilleur, terrible, erroné ,
perroquet/, tu n’es pas beau, il est là ; this pronunciation is particularly common with c’est
/se/.
(iii) This is particularly so before stressed /i/ or /y/ – i.e. the
vowel is raised to /e/ in anticipation of the following high
vowel, e.g.:
Stressed /ε/ Unstressed /e/
aigre /εgr/ aigrir /egri:r/
bête /bεt/ bêtise /beti:z/
tête /tεt/ têtu /tety/
– likewise colloquial vêtir,vêtu /veti:r, vety/ beside more
formal /vεti:r, vεty/ and stressed (il)vêt /vε/ and (except that
there is no corresponding stressed /ε/ ), aigu /egy/. This
phenomenon (which applies only to the pair /ε/ ~ /e/ ) is