Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4227 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 1 of 6
13 February 2013 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
Do you think it is possible to learn to speak chinese and build a good oral passive
understanding of the language without learning the characters but relying only on the
pinyin to expand your vocabulary ?
1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4517 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 2 of 6
13 February 2013 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Yes. There are textbooks based on that idea, and the people I know who've used it were generally much better than our other classmates.

That said, if you live in the Sinosphere you're going to need a good (a couple?) hundred characters just for survival. If you don't live in an area where Chinese (I assume Mandarin?) is spoken, then I'm not sure what you intend to do with your skills.
4 persons have voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5247 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 3 of 6
13 February 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
I think that the FSI Mandarin course doesn't use any character...

leosmith
United States
Joined 6389 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 4 of 6
13 February 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
albysky wrote:
Do you think it is possible to learn to speak chinese and build a good oral passive
understanding of the language without learning the characters but relying only on the
pinyin to expand your vocabulary ?

It depends on what you mean by "good oral passive understanding". Personally, I waited way too long to learn characters, for reasons I won't get into here. I found it quite difficult to progress beyond the B1 level. I blame this mostly on the homonyms, which can be cleared up by learning characters.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4663 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 5 of 6
14 February 2013 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
I'm sure it's possible to do it, but I think it must be hell getting past a certain point. I'm only a beginner and already
the numerous homonyms are getting me confused. Knowing the characters actually help a lot to distinguish the
words.
2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4283 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 6 of 6
14 February 2013 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
There are Chinese people here (2nd & 3rd generation) who are character-illiterate.
Their parents wanted them to keep up with spoken Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin) but it
would take a lot more effort to get them to write with any degree of fluency.

1 thing I do find in the Chinese community is that there is a lot of respect for elders
& authority figures (like teachers). In the West it is very common for people to be
self-taught in a number of things including languages. For the Chinese it is more
common to attend classes or get help from private tutors. I know a few fluent speakers
(Cantonese or Mandarin) in my generation but only 2 are fluent enough to write
paragraphs that make sense. People from the previous generations learn the Chinese
classics including works by Confucius. Expressing ideas often mean writing in a formal
style that reflected you are highly educated. Kind of deterrent for many in the Chinese
community in N. America (outside of Asia) to keep up with the characters. And then the
Internet came along when messages appear from people of all ages.

On the other hand I do write quite a bit on online blogs, not because I remember even
half the characters but because I am proficient enough in spoken Chinese and can look
up words on online dictionaries using Pinyin. You know how to pronounce characters, you
know the meaning, the next step is just copy & paste characters into the text box.

Personally I don't know all the characters from memory to write them on paper. Being
online for a few months and constantly looking them up with Pinyin I can recognize
enough to read a newspaper and get the context. Looking them up using online
dictionaries is a good start.

There is 1 learning system I recently come across call: Gurulu Chinese. Their site is
www.gurulu.com. Came across their online advertisement which sounded quite interesting.
Their system of learning characters is strictly based on Simplified version used on the
Mainland and not Tradition for Taiwan & Hong Kong. You start from simple character like
玉 for jade and add a roof to become 宝 for treasure and add enclosure to become 国 for
country.

Edited by shk00design on 16 February 2013 at 1:01am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version