Pro Member
United States
Joined 5273 days ago

7 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 2
14 February 2013 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
For those who may not yet be familiar with it, the “Book2” website provides a lot of useful audio material in Bengali:

http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/EN/ENBN/ENBN002.HTM

It’s a one-size-fits-all approach whereby the same basic set of sentences for various situations has been translated into a whole slew of languages. That can sometimes result in an awkward cultural “misfit,” and here and there it seemed to my admittedly non-expert ear that something was a bit off, but by and large it’s a good 6+ hours of helpful audio material (100 lessons at approx. 4 minutes per lesson) specifically for learning Bengali – which is hard to come by.

After each English sentence, a translation in Bengali is given first by a West Bengal speaker and then by a speaker from Bangladesh.

The material gets progressively more challenging and includes chapters not only on things like “colors,” “at the hotel,” “in a restaurant” but also material around grammatical issues like “past tense,” “conjunctions,” “adjectives,” “subordinate clauses.”

However, there’s absolutely no explanation of grammar given, so you have to look to other sources for that. But if you’re working with the Radice or Dimock textbooks, you’ll have no trouble following here.

All the text involved is on the website, but you can only see a couple of sentences in any given language until you become a member, which involves a very nominal fee. I paid about US$4 for two years for a “premium” membership. But you can easily do without the text and use it as purely audio training.

It's also available for Android and iPhone.

4 persons have voted this message useful

triliana
United States
Joined 5608 days ago

2 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Bengali

Message 2 of 2
22 February 2013 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
This is a great resource. I'm adding it to my list. Thank you!
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version