United States
Joined 6664 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 2
19 February 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
I am briefly visiting Jordan to see Petra (think Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) and Wadi Rum. It'll only be a 2-3 day visit, but I'd like to know a few basic words/phrases in the Jordanian Arabic dialect (not MSA).

First of all, does this free phrasebook appear accurate?

Second, I'd like to know how to say:
-Hello.
-See ya.
-Thanks.
-Please.
-Good morning. [greeting someone in the morning]
-Good evening. [greeting someone in the afternoon/evening]
-Good night. [when leaving to go to sleep]
-My name is...
-I'm from the US.
-Excuse me/Sorry.
-I don't speak Arabic.
-Yes.
-No.

If there are multiple ways of saying these things, please just tell me the single best option. Please tell me the words/phrases in a transliterated form and using Spanish-like or German-like vowels if possible.

Thanks in advance.
1 person has voted this message useful

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6500 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 2 of 2
19 February 2013 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
You could get the 10 lesson Pimsleur course to learn some basic phrases. Its not very expensive and won't take long to finish. The Eastern one uses the Lebanese accent, which is similar to the accent spoken in many parts of Jordan. The accent in Petra is a little more bedouin, but the words should be basically the same. The differences won't really matter since you are only going to be there a few days, and at least you'll get a better pronunciation than just reading the words off of a phrase book.

Edited by Talib on 19 February 2013 at 11:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version