Groupie
United States
Joined 5068 days ago

73 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, German

Message 1 of 2
06 March 2013 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
I'd like to get some advice on learning German as a beginner, with the intention of using it for one
month in and around the country sometime in April or May of this year. The things I hope to be able to
accomplish in German by the end of my stay:

- give a brief introduction of who I am, where I am from, and why I am where I am
- understand when someone introduces themselves briefly
- ask and answer basic questions about day to day life
- be able to share a beer (or three) in German

Linguistically, I am aiming to accomplish the following:

- solid understanding of basic grammar
- exposure and preliminary understanding of intermediate grammar
- 300-500 words of vocabulary
- unoffensive pronunciation (decent pronunciation would be best, but at the very least I want to be
understood)
- follow clearly enunciated speech and understand the gist

My situation is such that I won't be able to begin a serious study regimen until late next week. I am
currently in South Korea and have just finished a year long English teaching contract. This last week I
am spending time with friends and colleagues, and living the last days of my travel here in Korean. I am
hoping to have a short list of good German resources to assemble together for when I return to Seattle
next week. I am hoping to have:

- a book/mp3 combination good for shadowing (I have an electronic copy of an old Linguaphone course
and a bound copy of the 80's Assimil course, plus mp3s for both, but recommendations are surely
welcome)
- a good textbook aimed at introducing the basics and beyond of German grammar with (a must have)
good grammar explanations *this is important for me*
- some sort of pattern-drill exercise book intended to help with memorizing sentence patterns (would
FSI be good for this or is there a better resource, perhaps online?)

Ultimately my goal is to speak the very best German I can by the time I return to the States. A Korean
friend of mine spent part of her youth in Germany and thus is perfectly fluent in German, and I will be
staying with her for about a month at her place in Frankfurt. Her and I communicate very comfortably in
Korean, so I don't think I will get an immersion experience from her, but when we are out and about I
would very much like to speak with Germans in German, however basic the conversation will be. I know
that many Germans speak very good English, and I imagine I will use plenty of English there (along with
Korean), but I am motivated to pick up and use as much of the German language as possible.

I know how I learn foreign languages, and I know how to modify study materials to best fit my learning
style. But does anyone have any resources to recommend that may be unique to German or that they
think will help accomplish my goal with the amount of time I have? Or any study methods that might be
unique to this kind of situation? Anything and everything will be appreciated!
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4546 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 2
06 March 2013 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
For what you want, I'd just go FSI.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version