Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How long to read French aloud correctly?

Tags: Pronunciation | French
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
29 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7044 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 29
12 March 2013 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
My question really is:
How long did it take you to be able to read something in French and know you were pronouncing it basically
correct? (within the limits of your own accent).

With English, it can take a reader a long time to know how to pronounce what they are reading correctly.
Even after many years, one may see a new word, and although one can guess how it is pronounced, one
can't be sure, as the same letters may be pronounced many different ways, and where the accent in a word
falls doesn't follow a hard and fast rule.   For instance, one can see the words rough, cuff, though, tow,
through, dew, cough, off, plough, now, fought, taut, taught, and not necessarily know the sound relationship
between all of the words.

So is French as irregular as English in this regard, or is it a bit closer to Spanish in pronunciation rules?
(though I know it isn't that straight forward).   Or, God forbid, is French worse than English?

Edited by luke on 12 March 2013 at 10:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4475 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 2 of 29
12 March 2013 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
I think French is more straightforward than English because all of their sounds and writing usually match up. For instance, you know "rouille" and "trouille" (might be a bad example, but still) both have the same ending sound, but "tough" and "plough" don't have the same ending sound, although are written the same. Once you get the sounds matched up to their spelling, I'm pretty sure you have it down.

Native speakers, please correct me.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 12 March 2013 at 11:03pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4683 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 3 of 29
13 March 2013 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
French is much more straightforward than English. There are a few exceptions where the pronunciation of a word is not predictable (e.g. "femme"), but the greatest part of words follows some very straightforward rules. French pronunciation is not half as difficult as it may look like in the beginning.

Edited by Josquin on 13 March 2013 at 9:24am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4546 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 29
13 March 2013 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
Didn't take me more than a couple weeks, some oddball pronunciations with silent letters
excepted. But you'll run into that in any language I guess.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5924 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 5 of 29
13 March 2013 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
The problem is not so much the words themselves but the way they string sounds together which makes reading without audio very hard for me.

petite amie ---) peti tami
Il habite à Paris ---) il abi tapari

This might be interesting for those wanting to train themselves to recognize enchaînements consonantiques et vocaliques. It's definitely worth a peek!

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4504 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 29
13 March 2013 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
As mentioned, "emme" is a little confusing. It's /am/ in "femme" and "récemment" but nasalized in "emmener" and then "lemme" is /lɛm/.

There are a few other things that confused me, for example, why is "descendre" pronounced like "déscendre" even though it has no accent mark?

Anyway, just getting the sounds out more or less correctly is not all that difficult, but making it all flow smoothly together is something else, and I'm still working on that.

Edited by tastyonions on 13 March 2013 at 11:24am

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4939 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 7 of 29
13 March 2013 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
French is definitely more consistent than English, but isn't every language?

How long it takes will depend upon how much time you invest in it. If you read books with the audio version playing, you will probably have an advantage. There will probably always be a few words that, for no apparent reason, must have the final consonant pronounced or something like that which throw you for a bit of a loop.

In my personal experience: I think it took about a year to a year and a half, but can't be completely sure since I don't often read out loud to native French speakers.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 13 March 2013 at 12:07pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7044 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 8 of 29
13 March 2013 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
This might be interesting for those wanting to train themselves to recognize enchaînements consonantiques et vocaliques. It's definitely worth a peek!

That's a very helpful link. Thank you!

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version