Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How long to read French aloud correctly?

Tags: Pronunciation | French
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
29 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5227 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 17 of 29
13 March 2013 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Ok, I tend to follow the (roundabout) rule for French that an o is long unless there's a double consonant behind it.

That certainly does not work: policier, codification, solide, logarithme, etc., are all open o. Although I can't speak for Belgian French, there are a lot of long vowels in my dialect as well, and all of these are short too.

2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4511 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 18 of 29
13 March 2013 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
In general I think "o" (without circumflex) is close only before "s" followed by "e" and in all those word-final syllables listed above by Arekkusu. Could be wrong, though. And as far as "o" length goes, I don't know anything. :-)

Edited by tastyonions on 13 March 2013 at 4:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Spiderkat
Diglot
United States
Joined 5658 days ago

175 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 29
13 March 2013 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Ok, I tend to follow the (roundabout) rule for French that an o is long unless there's
a double consonant behind it.

What exactly is a long o? I know the o vowel or any o sound are pronounced "open" or "closed".

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4553 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 20 of 29
13 March 2013 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
In Dutch vowel length matters. The difference between o and oo (long o) is that it's an o
sound but it's held on to for much loooooooooooonger, so that you get a distinctive
different o sound.

For me, it sounds like soooooooooolide, and not sollide. Un roooman poooolicié. Is that
what you mean, Arekkusu? That the "o" in solide should be pronounced as if the word was
written sollide (with the ll sound of ville)?

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5227 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 21 of 29
13 March 2013 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
In Dutch vowel length matters. The difference between o and oo (long o) is that it's an o
sound but it's held on to for much loooooooooooonger, so that you get a distinctive
different o sound.

For me, it sounds like soooooooooolide, and not sollide. Un roooman poooolicié. Is that
what you mean, Arekkusu? That the "o" in solide should be pronounced as if the word was

Long o and closed o are the same. In solide, roman, policier, we have a short, open o, as in botte.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4511 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 22 of 29
13 March 2013 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
"solide" has the vowel sound of "sol" and "somme". I don't think that changing the number of Ls after the "o" changes the vowel quality at all (e.g. "solliciter" and "solitude" have the same initial "o" sound).

Edited by tastyonions on 13 March 2013 at 4:53pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4553 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 23 of 29
13 March 2013 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
tarvos wrote:
In Dutch vowel length matters. The difference between
o and oo (long o) is that it's an o
different o sound.

Long o and closed o are the same. In solide, roman, policier, we have a short, open o,
as in botte.

That sounds weird to me. But I'll keep that in mind. Maybe it's just a quirk that
sprung through the trap of Dutch people learning French at school. Thanks.

Spiderkat
Diglot
United States
Joined 5658 days ago

175 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 24 of 29
13 March 2013 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
different o sound.

There's no vowel length in French. Whether you say solide or sooolide, policier or pooolicier, roman or rooooman the o sound remains the same because those words are pronounced with a open o.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version