Germany
Joined 6486 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 9 of 23
20 October 2009 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
"hyperlinking to the verbal particles" - I now need to think about that further, I have a solution but I'm not too happy about it. It is possible to just create a group having a common prefix morpheme and then a link for the group page with the words in that group. The issue I have with my current design is that it's the group that is being linked not the root in the word and requires an active 'human' decision to do this. I'm not sure it makes sense without seeing mock-ups. More to follow...

I think I have now come up with my database structure that allows for this and I am building some initial mock-ups (automatic generation of the pages from the database) but still a lot of work before I start sharing.

Edited by zenmonkey on 20 October 2009 at 9:23am

1 person has voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5901 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 23
20 October 2009 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
I was thinking about your project and tried working with the root verb ziehen and considering each affix and how it relates to the verb. For instance, -ab, -an, -aus, -ein, -zu, -ent, and others are easy to group together as they all refer to a pulling on or off or other motion.

But, how would you represent a reflexive form such as sich verziehen also denoting a kind of movement, i.e., clearing away, but with the additional pronoun?

Would you give links to inflected/conjugated word forms, for example, the past participle of verzeihen, and show the difference when two forms look identical:

verzeihen/verzieh/verziehen
or
verziehen/verzog/verzogen

In normal usage you'd need to know the context in which the word appears. How would this appear of a graph?

I hope this makes sense. I like your idea a lot and it sounds like you know what you are doing. I don't have the technological knowledge to construct the kind of site you propose, but I would certainly like to use it. I tried doing something of the same idea on spreadsheets but it was very boring.

I also found these sites but don't know if they would be helpful to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordNet

http://www.globalwordnet.org

These appear to be for academic linguists, but a site for the everyday non-professional language learner would be very useful.
3 persons have voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5901 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 23
20 October 2009 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
I just found another one: this site is linked to the WordNet Wikipedia entry and it uses material from the WordNet database to show visual relationships among numerous English words.

www.snappywords.com

Well there goes my day. I must go play with this now!
3 persons have voted this message useful

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6486 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds

Message 12 of 23
20 October 2009 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Good input!
I looked at Wordnet and the synsets hoping I could be just a lazy user but that is a very interesting tool but not what I am looking into. It's really a collection of synonyms for semantic parsing. In other words, what set of words can I use that would not change the meaning of a phrase or the semantics structure. and it's in only English.

The Wordnet projects follow in a similar vein and focus on

Quote:
GermaNet is a lexical-semantic net that relates German nouns, verbs, and adjectives semantically by grouping lexical units that express the same concept into synsets and by defining semantic relations between these synsets. Germanet has much in common with the English WordNet® and might be viewed as an on-line thesaurus or a light-weight ontology.

So it's really a computer-assisted relational and hierarchal thesaurus. And while interesting, does not work for me in the area of language learning and word derivational morphology. How words are built from roots (for example read-->'readable' but not 'cryable') and derive meaning from suffixes -- I'm certain my Chinese learning could also be boosted by that (It's basically what Mathews book teaches too).

Oooooooh! snappywords is a lot of fun!
But again, not really what I want, has a nice flash interface but misses out on the linguistic/learning part of words, although I imagine it would be great if someone wanted to learn English. :) Thanks, I just spend a good hour playing with it!

But again thanks, it gives me an idea or two about passing parameters and explaining this in the future.

And I found this word to be a lot of fun "water":

Edited by zenmonkey on 20 October 2009 at 11:54pm

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6486 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds

Message 13 of 23
17 November 2009 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Here is another example of this type of representation. This time for Portuguese/Spanish Cognates and how to learn them...

Edited by zenmonkey on 17 November 2009 at 8:41pm

RudyPiper
United Kingdom
Joined 5392 days ago

7 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: EnglishB2

Message 14 of 23
18 December 2009 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Hello Everyone.

This is my first reply on here, and hopefully it won't be the last.

This is a very interesting topic.

From my humble experience, I believe it will work with Germanic languages perfectly. The Swedish language is similar in structur to German, and Swedes have devised the concept you are talking about here, though slightly differently. There are books that explain the affixes meanings (rather than the actual morpheme, which you are talking about here) and its effect on words. It works like magic, most of the time, that i rarely reffered to dictionaries (unless exact redention was required).

I do not know if it'll work with Romantic languages (which I studied, but not gone too deep into), and I am not sure if it will work with English (because I am not sure wether to calssify English as Latin or Germanic language).

Thanks.

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5701 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 15 of 23
27 December 2009 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
This is funny and very challenging. I have been teaching Dutch to adults at the European Union (Commision) in Brussels and that got me into quite the same idea. However listing those different derivations is somehow fun, but I have not been able to literally and figuratively sell the idea because it is not didactic enough.

trong>I first wrote this (...):
"To me, IMHO, the key issue was/ is reducing the number of words to be learnt or remembered by showing how they are 'built', construed, using prefixes, suffixes, sometimes even pointing out the etymology. I have listed words containing what I call key words (in Dutch trong>nemen (take), meten (measure), zin (sense, direction, meaning, ...), and have then explained them in texts using a limited vocabulary, also referrring to E/F/G translations and to Latin and Greek roots.
In the meantime, I have also also developed 'light' versions based on the 'encyclopedic' versions, which appear to be interesting to native speakers even (just think of links between trong>beWusT (conSCIous), WETENschap (SCIence), WEETgiering (eager to know) , which all contain 'weten' (the same word as in 'witty'. But it is still only interesting, and I have considered adding words that are 'near-synonyms', and linking them into series based on certain processes (decision-making for example). Someone referring to the Cambridge book "Using English Vocabulary". "

I'd wish to know how the visual representation of derivations or of synonyms can contribute (I had developed my own schemes, but I wonder whether they are useful enough). It can be great food for thought, for sure, but for language learners? I wonder.

trong>But now...
I discovered wordnet at Wikipedia, as someone suggested earlier, and that is great. I wonder whether the structure is the ideal one (as some meanings are only figuratively use, or metaphorically), but this is something that I had been looking for.

trong> Yet, the other question remains: how can we make this didactically useful?
Please convince me ! ;-)

Edited by JanKG on 27 December 2009 at 10:39am

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5701 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 16 of 23
27 December 2009 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
As for the "hyperlinking to the verbal particles". That is certainly an important idea: if people understand how these prefixes (or particles in English) work they can understand the meaning themselves, I think. Would it not be most useful to list the affix combinations in your representation (ver-, be, auf, ... + ziehen) and then make a hyperlink to the affix meaning list? (I am not that good at computer terms, but...).

It should work for English, for German and Dutch, for north Germanic languages, it seems to me, but I think it is no good for Romanic languages, because the system is no longer productive. Though knowing that 'dé-' is 'ent-' (G), or 'ont' (D) - 'off' in E - helps the learner a lot, I think. I think cross-linguistic reference might help very much.

Edited by JanKG on 27 December 2009 at 10:50am

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version