Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1
oldorange1
United States
Joined 4625 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 9 of 11
26 January 2012 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
RMM....   If you learned Italian through Opera, did you find that the repetitive time you spent on the same Opera made you less interested in actually seeing/enjoying it once you had learned it and knew it? Curious... thanks... m.
1 person has voted this message useful

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 10 of 11
28 January 2012 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
No, on the contrary, I think that the time I spent with the recordings and libretti helped make seeing opera live more enjoyable. Opera is a very multi-faceted artform. There is so much to pay attention to when actually seeing an opera (the quality of the singing, conductor, and orchestra, the production/interpretation, the sets, costumes, lighting, plot, acting, etc.) that not having to be glued to the subtitles/surtitles in addition allowed me to appreciate the performances more.

Beyond this, classical music in general, and esp. classical music that also contains a vocal line or multiple vocal lines, is a complex musical form. The more I go over the same music, the more nuances and fresh details that I typically find in it. Many of the operas that I am most familiar with are still among my very favorite operas (Otello, Boheme, Traviata, etc.).

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5627 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 11 of 11
28 January 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
I love opera, but unfortunately this technique has never worked for me. Even if an opera singer is singing in English, I just can't understand it! I think this is due to their vocal technique. As a singer, you get trained to emphasize vowels and make your consonants more subtle, and this is especially true for opera singers. Runs/trills/coloratura etc. are only produced on vowels, and the consonants end up fading into the background, at least to my ear. Has anyone else had this problem?

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version