Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Has your language number an effect on your methods?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1
DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6085 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 9 of 12
11 January 2012 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
I don't know whether it's the number of languages, or my experience in general, but my methods have changed over the years. If I could go back in time, would I advise my earlier self to do it differently ? I probably would not.

My earliest language encounters used the Michel Thomas method, and while I wouldn't use it again, it did set me on the right path. It broke away from all my previous school based language learning. My school based learning was heavily weighted towards writing and reading, with listening and speaking an afterthought. This method showed me that language was primarily an oral and aural task. I know others may disagree with this statement.

Weighting my study towards audio heavy material, I then used the Learn in your Car series, among many other all audio courses. Pimsleur had eliminated itself based on it's price. It was around this time that I discovered the forum which opened my eyes, and ears, to numerous other choices, products and methods. The biggest jump in my language learning came from joining the TAC 2008. This forced me into intensive study which I've never really abandoned.

Thank you HTLAL.

1 person has voted this message useful

Wilhelm Schulz
United States
schulzlanguages.com
Joined 4624 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 12
27 January 2012 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
I have found that, learning my "first second language" was the hardest. This was, I think, because I never truly
understood the grammar of my native language (English), so I had to learn that as well. After that though, all the
others come to me very easily and quickly.

In my case, speaking three Romance languages and two Germanic ones, I could really take advantage of the similar
structure between the languages. For example, Spanish and Italian are incredibly similar. In a more subtle way, they
are both connected to French. Since I learned French first, that really opened up the door for me.

Then, when I learned German, I was able to reconnect to basic English structure and grammar.

So, I don't know if my methods were really any different each time, but I definitely didn't need to put in as much
effort with the languages I learned after my first second language.

-Wilhelm Schulz

Edited by Wilhelm Schulz on 27 January 2012 at 3:48am

RIchieP
United Kingdom
Joined 4985 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes

Message 11 of 12
28 January 2012 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
Just starting my second new language now having gotten a decent chunk of German under my
belt, I'm already finding it way easier.

Its like my brain has just become efficient. It knows when to apply attention and when
to just relax and let things sink in. I've stopped trying so hard and trust in the power
of absorption and repetition. Really looking forward to getting some proficiency in this
one (Spanish).

Edited by RIchieP on 28 January 2012 at 3:09am

Wilhelm Schulz
United States
schulzlanguages.com
Joined 4624 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes

Message 12 of 12
28 January 2012 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
Richie,

I think it takes the a little while to adjust to thinking in a new language (especially if you're an adult). It's good that
you have now learned to trust in absorption and repetition. That is the natural, and thus more effective, way of
learning.

Viel Glück!

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version