Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5000 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 1 of 22
19 July 2011 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
I've been trying to teach my younger brother Bulgarian for some time now. He has a large passive knowledge from
listening to me and my parents speak but he's too shy to talk on his own. Whenever I try to speak to him in
Bulgarian, he replies to me in English and I promptly forget my goal. Lately I've been trying to teach him the
grammar from "Intensive Bulgarian, a textbook and reference grammar" but the material is way too dense for him.
He tries to follow what I'm teaching him, but it's too boring for him to pay attention for an extended period of time.
Is anyone familiar with a method that could help familiarize him with the grammar of Bulgarian? As soon as he's
comfortable with the grammar, he should be more comfortable utilizing his vocabulary.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4843 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 2 of 22
20 July 2011 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
You haven't said how old your brother is, which would help us to help you.

But anyway, the trick is to use his own interests in your lessons. For example, can you get comics in Bulgarian? You could read them together, and discuss the grammar as you go along.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4943 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 22
20 July 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Yes, the age would help.

But if you and your parents are speaking Bulgarian at home, why isn't he?

I'd say the best way for a child of any age is to help him see that speaking the language is a normal, everyday thing and he doesn't need to be shy. Don't drill him grammar, he can hear it from you and parents. And the "foreign language grammar" approach might make him even more shy to speak. Or something like visiting granny or friends in Bulgary for a few weeks might help (the more if granny doesn't understand English). If that is impossible, just try to find something fun for him as Jeffers wisely said. Perhaps when passionately discussing a Bulgarian book, comics, film or whatever, he might forget to use English when speaking to you.
Just ideas.

Good luck with your goal. You're a great brother (sister?). I believe one day your brother will really appreciate your efforts.

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5331 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 4 of 22
20 July 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
I agree with the above poster and would just add that if you wall continue to speak to him in Bulgarian then he will eventually respond in Bulgarain. Immersion really is the best way, especially if this is a younger child. I know that when I was teaching in day care I used to speak Italian to my 3 year olds and while they wouldn't respond back in Italian, they started understanding me fairly quickly. It sounds to me like your brother is a little older than 3, but the concept still applies. If he has the passive knowledge already it will just be a matter of time before the active catches up. Just make sure you respond to his English in Bulgarian, I think he'll eventually get the point.

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5000 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 

Message 5 of 22
20 July 2011 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your responses! My brother is 9. The comic idea may just work if I can
manage to find some in Bulgarian. I also found entire classic Bulgarian movies on
youtube that we could watch together. At the age of 9, you can see why were all worried
that he may never reach native fluency at this rate.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5893 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 22
20 July 2011 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Kartof, you haven't said anything about your brothers' motivation level. The ideas mentioned will help but unless he really wants to learn, given the dynamics of immigrant life in the US, this may not go as well as you'd like. That said, I hope things work out....good luck!

Edited by Snowflake on 20 July 2011 at 4:01pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5945 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 22
20 July 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
JPike1028 wrote:
If he has the passive knowledge already it will just be a matter of time before the active catches up.

Sorry, this is simply untrue. You can see as much in many minority-language communities the world over -- some people can understand the language, but never gain the ability to speak it.

In Scotland and Wales, you'll see people who understand Gaelic or Welsh even going to beginners classes because they do not know how to formulate anything but the simplest sentences.
Kartof wrote:
My brother is 9. The comic idea may just work if I can
manage to find some in Bulgarian. I also found entire classic Bulgarian movies on
youtube that we could watch together. At the age of 9, you can see why were all worried
that he may never reach native fluency at this rate.

I think you're going to have to actively teach his to speak, and at 9 years old I think it's possible. But, as you've already found out, going through a grammar book doesn't cut it.

I'd suggest you get hold of a Michel Thomas course -- one of the genuine MT ones (Spanish, German, French, Italian), not the ones recorded by other people under the brand name and look very closely at what he does.

He builds up the grammatical rules organically, going through "I want"->"I want it"->"I want to do it" and developing a wide palette of grammar. Your brother has the advantage that the vocabulary will be easy, and will only have to focus on the grammar (passive vocabulary is stronger than passive grammatical knowledge, and can be converted to active easier).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5000 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 

Message 8 of 22
20 July 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
My brother is generally excited to learn Bulgarian but he feels overwhelmed by the fact
that he hasn't a clue on how to construct grammatically correct sentences. I find that,
while there are some resources for learning Bulgarian, many are geared for adults and few
to none for children. I know that my brother will have a feeling of gratification if he
learns Bulgarian because it will help him connect with his cultural heritage. To top it
off, our grandparents and several family members speak only Bulgarian.

I just check the website and I don't think that the Michel Thomas learning method has
Bulgarian.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version