22 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Snowflake
United States
Joined 5893 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 22
20 July 2011 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
Have you looked at http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Bulgarian ?
I'm unsure how a 9 year old will take to FSI content and format, though since the focus is spoken output, FSI is in that niche. Another idea is to find an animated movie that he loves which is dubbed in Bulgarian. He can echo the dialog.

Edited by Snowflake on 20 July 2011 at 7:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5000 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 10 of 22
20 July 2011 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
I don't think he'd respond too well to the rote learning emphasized in the FSI courses.
I've actually never come across a children's movie dubbed into Bulgarian although plenty
of youtube excerpts would state otherwise. They'd probably be mostly available in
Bulgaria. Despite the thousands of channels cable and satellite television provide, I
haven't come across a Bulgarian language channel in years...

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5499 days ago

938 posts - 1840 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 11 of 22
20 July 2011 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Have you and your parents tried ignoring him if he responds in English after the third time? Its cruel but it works (at least it works for my son in German when his mother speaks to him). If you mix languages, it will never work.

Edited by Elexi on 20 July 2011 at 11:45pm

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5000 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 

Message 12 of 22
21 July 2011 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Today I tried creating a "Bulgarian hour" where he and I can only speak in Bulgarian (a way for him not to feel
overwhelmed by not having access to speaking in English). For the most part it worked and he was able to express
himself with simple sentences. We have tried to ignore him if he speaks English but it's difficult to keep that up for
too long and he gets frustrated with not being able to express himself.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4943 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 13 of 22
21 July 2011 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
The Bulgarian hour sounds as a great idea. If you keep to it, it might be the perfect way.

I am surprised that you didn't find any children's movie dubbed because those are the only films worth dubbing. And perhaps better place to search than cable television would be the internet. In particular websites of Bulgarian televisions. Some might have an archive of at least their own films or rather short films or series.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4843 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 14 of 22
21 July 2011 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
No matter what you do in that hour (read, write, talk, watch, sing, play board games, etc), having a "Bulgarian hour" is probably the best step you can take.

EDIT:
I just checked, and there is an Assimil course in Bulgarian. Unfortunately, it is French based. However, since you know Bulgarian, all you need is the audio anyway, and that is entirely in the target language. I don't know how much a 9 year old would like Assimil, but it can be used as a short part of the Bulgarian hour.

Edited by Jeffers on 21 July 2011 at 9:42am

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5000 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 

Message 15 of 22
25 February 2012 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but none of the aforementioned techniques did the trick. Both my parents and
I are so used to code switching that as soon as my brother starts talking in English, we respond in English
and forget about the whole "Bulgarian-only" idea. I'm positive that he has more than passive knowledge in
the language because he string together simple sentences if he really has to. What I really need is an idea
on how to make active Bulgarian use a daily routine for him. Maybe in time he'll start to use it more freely.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4990 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 16 of 22
25 February 2012 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Maybe a trip to Bulgaria will be a good idea?

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version