Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5152 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 13
03 January 2012 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
I've just started to learn a third language and try to spend as much time with as I can but one issue is that if I spend
too much time my brain starts to melt. Not literally of course but it feels like it...
As I still do not enough words I can't watch movies, read or listen to talkshows as I do with my second language
which keeps it fresh and keeps me learning new things without much effort. Doing the same thing in the third
language is just hard as I don't understand what I read and needs to translate everything, listening on talkshows is
boring as I can't follow a thing, and watching movies works with subtitles but then it doesn't really feel like I am
learning any thing...

So what can you do without getting tired when just starting out?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5717 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 2 of 13
04 January 2012 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
L-R?
3 persons have voted this message useful

JiriT
Triglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4731 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 3 of 13
04 January 2012 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
What you describe is quite normal. When you know a language well, then you can watch tv
programs in it, listen to the radio or read the books or other text in that language.
To a large extent you can do in that language the same what you do in your mother
language. When you are a beginner, you cannot for instance read books in the language
just for pleasure. You can read - but it will be a tough job, with a dictionary, you
will have to understand grammar structures with difficulties etc.
As a beginner, you can listen to the language - without tryin to understand. Just to
get the intonation of the language into yourself. It is not much use in listening in
this way long hours a day. Maybe half an hour once a day and for cca five minutes
several times a day. I would not call it learning, call it just listening.
You can read original texts. It will take a lot of effort and it seems more effective
to read such texts several times (not in one day, once a day). After learning some
vocabulary and grammar you will learn by watching movies or listening to the real
language.
There are a number of people living in a foreign country, who did not learn the
language (nearly at all or to a good level). Being exposed to a language does not
automaticaly mean you will learn it. My colleage worked some years and Germany and in
Italy. He spoke both language very poorly. I believe, an adult person must study the
language intentionally and then the foreign language environment helps them to master
to language. Or, you have to aquire some language level by studying (grammar,
memorising vocabulary, reading etc.) and then you lern by being exposed to the
language.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 13
04 January 2012 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
This too shall pass...

Try listening to the audio at an accelerated speed. After this the normal speed will be ok:)

Are you using a textbook in addition to the native materials?

IDK about French, but for Italian there's a great textbook "You already know Italian", which points out the cognates, loan words and false friends too. You should be able to find something interesting even if the traditional textbooks are boring for you.

juman
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5152 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French

Message 5 of 13
04 January 2012 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Yes, it is probably just my restlessness that shines through. I have a textbook I am also looking into mainly to
understand some grammar which makes understanding easier.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 13
06 January 2012 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
Well, you may want to also read the texts from your textbook, these should be much easier than native materials. or try adapted stories/graded readers.

Stanley-Dope
Diglot
Singapore
germanwanderer.blogs
Joined 4630 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English, German

Message 7 of 13
16 January 2012 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
I think the key is to start with realistic expectation. I had the same problems with German.

So what I did in the first round, was to pick out the gist of the whole video by picking up some of the words that I recognise. Then I would replay the whole video, and then get the details out of it. I do not believe in using subs, since I go by the swim-or-sink strategy.

Naturally, you'd want videos with plenty of actions if you are lacking in vocabulary. That means, yes, talkshows and formal interviews are definitely out. What you lack in vocabulary can be compensated by context-specific actions or scenes which should give you that "ah-ha" to what is actually being said. And it allows you to make a link between that foreign word, to that specific action. Instead of linking it to our native language, which may impede us from ever fluently speaking in that new foreign language.

And never turn the learning into an emotional experience. That is very destructive. Once you feel overwhelmed, stop. If you find that a video is not suitable, just skip it. No point forcing yourself to watch it. Enjoying a language allows you to actually learn better than feeling tired because of learning.

Edited by Stanley-Dope on 16 January 2012 at 6:02am

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 8 of 13
17 January 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Material made for natives is only useful when you reach a certain level. Yes, you can "get a feel" for a lot of stuff in many ways, but if listening to radio in your target language leads to you recognizing bits and pieces, and nothing more, it may be that your vocab is lacking, or your understanding of grammar lacking.

You need stuff a bit above your level to advance at a pace you can actually feel, and that's, in my opinion, what counts most. There's a time for everything, and skipping steps leads to nothing but frustration.

Learning a language DOES take time.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version