Triglot
Germany
Joined 4802 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 9 of 13
07 February 2012 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Even if you watch subtitled stuff, you can still pick up lots of useful information about pronunciation, intonation, vocabulary, grammar patterns - it will at least make things sound familiar and make studying easier. But you do have to train yourself not to completely ignore what's spoken. Over time I've picked up at least several hundred Korean words just by watching subtitled media. (TV series are better for this, because words and phrases get repeated more often than in movies etc.)

Or try listening to basic language courses for speakers of your target language (that means any language, taught in your target language). the context is rather clear so you'll more or less be able to follow what's going on and you don't have to know vocabulary for a wide range of advanced topics like you would for a talkshow or movie. you might find it boring, though, if you're not interested in the language that is taught.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6404 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 10 of 13
22 February 2012 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
I wrote a blog post on this issue a few days ago:
http://www.learnlangs.com/blog/?p=303

I would recommend choosing a method that allows you to have fun in your target language
as soon as possible (i. e. focus on only one ability for a short while), and then mixing
fun activities and normal learning until your language knowledge is all-round awesome.
2 persons have voted this message useful

juman
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5152 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French

Message 12 of 13
22 February 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Sprachprofi that was a good article...
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4622 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 13 of 13
22 February 2012 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Stanley-Dope wrote:
Instead of linking it to our native language, which may impede us from ever fluently speaking in that new foreign language.

I'm not sure I'd agree here. I developed my vocabulary in my native English by hearing words over and over and over, hundreds of times over many years, along with explanations at times, and thereby developing an innate sense of what the words mean based on how they are used. This took a long time because I was both learning the word itself, and the concept to which it applies.

E.g., to learn what the word "Democracy" is, I had to learn the basics of political science and social organizations, underlying philosophical theories, etc. When I met the word Demokratie in German, all I had to do was say "aha! that's a word that refers to that complicated concept I already know as Democracy."

Links between languages can help tremendously in short-circuiting the learning process. I don't want to need 20 years of intensive 100% immersion to learn a new language to an advanced level, but I don't have to because I can link it to the languages I already know.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version