Triglot
United States
Joined 4699 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 14
23 January 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
There are many approaches to Assimil. Here are some of the ones I've seen mentioned on this forum. Have I missed any?
Most people seem to use some of these at each stage.

Passive wave:

Listen to TL, book closed.
Listen to TL read NL.
Listen to TL read TL.
Listen to TL, pause after each sentence, and read sentence aloud.
Listen to TL, pause after each sentence, and repeat aloud.
Read TL aloud, perhaps several times.
Repeat TL sentences aloud without reading.
Translate TL to NL.
Put vocabulary in an SRS system.
Put sentences into an SRS system.

Active Wave:

(any of the above plus)
Translate NL to TL aloud.
Translate NL to TL written.
Translate TL->NL->TL.
Memorize entire conversation.
Reverse Anki (SRS) cards from passive wave and reenter.
(Some people do the Active wave after they complete the Passive wave each day, others do the Active wave and the Passive wave lessons on alternate days)

Activities not closely connected to either wave, but possible with either or both:

Scriptorium.
Shadowing.

What else can you do with Assimil?

steve
5 persons have voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4699 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 14
23 January 2012 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
Some people also talk about doing a "third wave" to add some of the other steps that they may not have done the first and second times through.
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4649 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 3 of 14
23 January 2012 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
I've been using Assimil Dutch With Ease for already 32 lessons, but I've never heard of those waves. Actually, I've read about them here on the forum, but never knowing what were they about.

Is it written somewhere on the book or what?

Wompi
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4890 days ago

56 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: German*, Spanish, English
Studies: Czech

Message 4 of 14
23 January 2012 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
At the moment I do a wave where I talk to myself. I take the topic of each lesson and tell the story in my own words because I am very uncreative in finding a topic which I can talk about.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4843 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 5 of 14
23 January 2012 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
The Dutch course has more detailed instructions for doing the waves than other courses, as mentioned in this thread.

The thread links to this blog which gives a full listing. I'll reproduce it here:

1. Listen to the text with the book closed. It does not matter if you do not understand what is said. You will gain a general impression of the sounds, hearing the pronunciation without being influenced by the spelling.

2. Listen to the recording a second time while looking at the English translation.

3. Read the Dutch text aloud (with the aid of the phonetic transcription if necessary). Be sure you understand the meaning of each sentence, comparing it with the translation as required.

4. Now read the Dutch text again, but this time without looking at the translation.

5. Listen to the recording twice, once while looking at the English translation, and once while looking at the Dutch text.

6. Listen to the recording again with the book closed. At this point you should understand what is being said.

7. Listen to the recording once more. Stop the machine after each sentence, and try to repeat it aloud.

8. Carefully read the comments several times. Examine the Dutch sentences being explained. These notes are very important.

9. Read the exercises. Repeat each sentence several times. The exercises review material from the current lesson and from preceding lessons. If you have forgotten certain words, consult the English translation.

10. Examine the examples of sentence structure. They show how words and phrases are combined in Dutch, which is not always the same as in English.

What is different about this sequence is that you have to be able to understand the audio with the book closed (step 6) before you start repeating aloud (step 7). This seems to be a better sequence, because you fully understand the text first, and then begin to learn to say it.

(Edit: updated formatting)

Edited by Jeffers on 23 January 2012 at 5:41pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4649 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 6 of 14
23 January 2012 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
@Jeffers I saw that on the book, but they say absolutely nothing about waves, as far as I remember. That being the passive way, will they introduce me to the active later then? Or that includes both waves already?

rapp
United States
Joined 5665 days ago

129 posts - 204 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 7 of 14
23 January 2012 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro, this is from inside the front cover of New French with Ease:

Passive phase:

- Read through the dialogues using the phonetic transcription as a guide (or listen to the recordings if you have them).

- Repeat each sentence aloud.

- Read the translation on the facing page.

- Use the text notes to discover the distinctive features of the language.

- Test yourself using the exercises (with key) that accompany each lesson.

- Review what you have learned each week in a special review lesson.

Active phase:

Once you are halfway through the course, you will know enough to go on to the active phase. As you learn each new lesson, you will also review an earlier one, following our instructions, and translate the dialogue from English into French. You'll be delighted at the results!

So on the same day that you do the passive phase/wave for lesson 50, you do the active wave for lesson 1, translating the English text for that lesson into French (or whatever language pair you're dealing with).
2 persons have voted this message useful

rapp
United States
Joined 5665 days ago

129 posts - 204 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 8 of 14
23 January 2012 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
Oh, and if you look at the end of lesson 49, you should see an explanation similar to what I just posted explaining that the active wave starts with the next day's lesson and what you are to do. Not all books have this information stated as prominently as in the book I have.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version