United Kingdom
Joined 4843 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 9 of 14
23 January 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
@Jeffers I saw that on the book, but they say absolutely nothing about waves, as far as I remember. That being the passive way, will they introduce me to the active later then? Or that includes both waves already?

The same blog has a different post which gives the description of the active wave, again from the Dutch book. It doesn't mention where in the book the description is. Here it is:

Use the following procedure in the second wave of your study:      

1. Read the lesson, repeating each sentence once. If you have the recordings, listen to them carefully.     
2. Cover the Dutch text and try to reconstruct it, looking only at the English sentences. Make an effort to do this both out loud and in writing. This is the most important part of the second wave!     
3. After you are finished, uncover the Dutch text and carefully correct any errors you have made.      

After each new lesson, you will be told which earlier lesson you are to review in this precise way. This second wave of your study will lead to an active and, in a very short time, spontaneous knowledge of Dutch.

3 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4649 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 10 of 14
23 January 2012 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Thanks @rapp and @Jeffers! I'll look for it in my book! I'm ]on lesson 32, so that's probably why I haven't come to it yet.
1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5499 days ago

938 posts - 1840 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 11 of 14
23 January 2012 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I personally (and I stress personally) find the passive wave idea next to useless. As I never use an Assimil course as my first introduction to a language I start the active wave from almost the beginning (usually from 14 days into the course). I then try to translate the lesson without much care if I am wrong or not and use the dialogue and the notes to work out why I made mistakes.

I also go back every 8 days and to the previous lessons again - marking the text with a post it note (i.e. on 'day' 29, I will do lessson 29, but also lesson 22, 15, 7 and 1). I probably do each lesson about 5 or 6 times. Obviously, as I progress, it takes me more than one day to do this, but I am in no hurry :}      

ericblair
United States
Joined 4645 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Studies: French

Message 12 of 14
28 January 2012 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
I think that since Sunday is when my review Day 7's are, I may start spending an extra
hour or two reviewing all the dialogues from the previous 6 days. So that the re-exposure
to them isn't quite so long (7 weeks is a long time!)

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4956 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 14
28 January 2012 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
ericblair wrote:
I think that since Sunday is when my review Day 7's are, I may start spending an extra
hour or two reviewing all the dialogues from the previous 6 days. So that the re-exposure
to them isn't quite so long (7 weeks is a long time!)

I think that is a sterling idea. I am surprised by how few people seem to just idly skim through the book. I think it is good to use Assimil in the way it is intended as a core method of study, and then do other activities with it as and when you have more time.

So when I was doing Spanish with ease I always did 1 active and 1 passive lesson , and as far as I remember didnt miss any days.

If I felt like studying more, or just had some free time, I woud do other activities. Often I would spend an hour or two reading through old dialogues while sat in front of the TV, or I would listen to dialogs on repeat while driving.

There are so many things you can do with this course, but I think it was impotant to me to work through the book as recomended to ensure I covered everything in the book.

Edited by dbag on 28 January 2012 at 9:05am

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5663 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 14 of 14
28 January 2012 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
These are the directions from the Dutch Assimil course if you have the book but not the recordings.

1. Read the first foreign sentence and compare it word for word with the phonetic transcription.

2. Examine the English translation. Then read the foreign sentence again.

3. Read the foreign sentence aloud several times. Then try to read it without consulting the book.

4. Follow the same procedure with each sentence.

5. When finished, read the entire foreign text again, and carefully examine the comments.

6. Read the foreign text once more. You should now be able to understand it without consulting the English translation.

7. Read the exercises. Repeat each sentence several times. The exercises review material from the current lesson and from preceding lessons. If you have forgotten certain words, consult the English translation.

8. Examine the examples of sentence structure. They show how words and phrases are combined in the target language, which is not always the same as in English.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version