FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6799 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 7
24 January 2012 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
I have made several flash cards in the past for vocab items. I"m curious as to whether or
not you can make flash cards for sentences, so as to anchor vocab items in context. Can
anyone give me advice for making flash cards by sentence?
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6554 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 2 of 7
25 January 2012 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't suggest making the sentences yourself as they might not be correct.

What I usually do is open some webpages on subjects that I'm interested in and use the find function to see if I can find that word. If they are common words used in a variety of fields, it is often easy to find them, but other words can be difficult. You might have to think about what kind of sites might have them. For example, if you are learning parts of the body, you are more likely to find them in a medical site than in a book review.

The reason I use the web is that it is easy to search like that and because I'm lazy and like to just cut and paste into Anki. PDF's and such-like can be searched in the same way.

Some people also like to take sentences from dictionaries that give examples of how to use the word in addition to the definition. I find those sentences a little boring, so I don't do it that way. I'd probably fall asleep. I need sentences that interest me which is why I search the web for them, even though it might be a bit more time consuming in some cases.

If you aren't looking for specific words, just unknown ones, then you can take any nice sentences that contain an unknown word. That's even easier.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 7
25 January 2012 at 7:12am | IP Logged 
I prefer just googling:) Google also gives higher a ranking to pages where the word is in the title so it should be something relevant, not just a random reference.

http://www.antimoon.com/how/usingsm-makeitems.htm great tips here. for items i understand at the point of adding them, i try to include gaps so that i paid more attention to the details.
2 persons have voted this message useful

JiriT
Triglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4731 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 4 of 7
25 January 2012 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
I do not use flash cards but word lists. But it is not the point. I usually memorize
words. But sometimes I memorize a group of words or a whole sentence. I do this mainly to
learn some special meaning of a word, which is connected with a special context. This is
something different than idoms, which I memorise too, but not very often.
Generally, though I sometimes memorize whole sentences, I am still learning vocabulary. I
never memorize "ordinary sentence", I mean sentences you can compose when you know the
words and grammar. If I ever learnt the whole sentences by heart, that would never be
sentences I invented myself. Only sentences from texts written by native speakers or from
a dictionary.

jerrypettit
Groupie
United States
Joined 5960 days ago

79 posts - 103 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 7
26 January 2012 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
If you have ANKI there are already decks you can download with sentences in them.

Waegukin
Korea, South
Joined 5434 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 6 of 7
30 January 2012 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Just a small thing to add: I've found that example sentences using words I already know
helps the most. Sometimes I would try to get an extra word 'for free' by using it in the
sentence, but it wouldn't work out too well.

miriam_2012
United Kingdom
addictedtoplay.com/
Joined 4617 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 7 of 7
30 January 2012 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
learning flash games helped me a lot with learning English. see some here: http://www.addictedtoplay.com/online-games/Educational-Games .html

Edited by miriam_2012 on 30 January 2012 at 1:16pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version