Joined 5717 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 1 of 14
26 January 2012 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Aloysius just gave me a great idea on another thread! http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30982&PN=1&TPN=1

Now if I can make my own R-L material then two people can make L-R material for each
other, right?

I mean if I have a book I really love in English, and you live in Spain or Mexico or
wherever you could just record it for me in Spanish, and I in turn could do the same
for you in English for one of your favourites and so on.

Can we not maybe match learners along these lines?
It seems so simple and obvious that I'm sure it will have been thought of before and
there'll no doubt be some picky legal reason why not, but I figure it's worth floating.

Edited by Random review on 26 January 2012 at 1:43am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4943 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 14
26 January 2012 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
It's a nice idea, especially now that most sources of downloading an official audiobook are gone and they are quite expensive.

But it may even be legal as you are both owners of the book, just in different languages (even though the translation is copyrighted too) and you would be doing it for each other only. Perhaps copyright fanatics would find it illegal but even if they did, this wouldn't be something worth suing.
1 person has voted this message useful

leisaowns
United States
Joined 4769 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese

Message 3 of 14
27 January 2012 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
I would love to take part in this and think it's a really cool idea. I'm a native English speaker and would be interested in trading off with a Japanese speaker.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5160 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 4 of 14
30 January 2012 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
This is a great idea. Ideally you should put your recordings on the public domain so no money is made from the recording themselves and hopefully you can't be sued for that (if anyone knows better please 'speak').
I could help to set up a website so all recordings could be shared without problems, and even host it for free for a limited time.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5352 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 5 of 14
30 January 2012 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Would still be illegal, the copyright is for the intellectual property, i.e. the content of the book and any distribution of this content in any form is illegal without the express permission of the copyright holder(s). Fine for stuff that's already now in the public domain though.

It is doubtful anything would be done about such a thing though but as long as the books in question were not referenced on a public forum, who would know?

There is one problem I see though, the many hours that would be needed to make recordings for an average-sized novel with any kind of reasonable quality. Not sure how many people would be willing to spend the time and risk getting a poorly done recording in return. Good luck to anyone who tries though!

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 30 January 2012 at 4:26am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5160 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 6 of 14
30 January 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
Would still be illegal, the copyright is for the intellectual property, i.e. the content of the book and any distribution of this content in any form is illegal without the express permission of the copyright holder(s). Fine for stuff that's already now in the public domain though.

Yes, that's the kind of stuff that makes me think we should burn most intellectual property stuff and allow only a few, very well defined, restrictions to what one can do. The usual formulas and laws are so vague that publishers and owners can sue pretty much anyone they feel like and succeed. Hell, just telling somebody "the story" is illegal according to your quasi-quote -- if we're spared it's only because we have too little money to make it worth the effort...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5717 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 7 of 14
30 January 2012 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
Would still be illegal, the copyright is for the
intellectual property, i.e. the content of the book and any distribution of this content
in any form is illegal without the express permission of the copyright holder(s). Fine
for stuff that's already now in the public domain though.

Yes, that's the kind of stuff that makes me think we should burn most intellectual
property stuff and allow only a few, very well defined, restrictions to what one can do.
The usual formulas and laws are so vague that publishers and owners can sue pretty much
anyone they feel like and succeed. Hell, just telling somebody "the story" is illegal
according to your quasi-quote -- if we're spared it's only because we have too little
money to make it worth the effort...

Amen.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5352 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 8 of 14
31 January 2012 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
jazzboy.bebop wrote:

Yes, that's the kind of stuff that makes me think we should burn most intellectual property stuff and allow only a few, very well defined, restrictions to what one can do. The usual formulas and laws are so vague that publishers and owners can sue pretty much anyone they feel like and succeed. Hell, just telling somebody "the story" is illegal according to your quasi-quote -- if we're spared it's only because we have too little money to make it worth the effort...

Yeah, laws pertaining to copyright and intellectual property are headache inducing. I couldn't help laughing when I first found out that recording things off the TV is technically illegal...

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version