speightashley
United Kingdom
Joined 4612 days ago

17 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 9 of 14
06 February 2012 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
This is a great idea in principle but.........Will the books be a direct translation of each other? I would have thought that the books in either country would have slight differences in the way they are written and not translate directly. So, for example, your pal in spain reads and records lord of the rings from the copy he has....You get the recording and follow your English version from what has been recorded....would the texts match up 100%? I don't think they would.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5160 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 10 of 14
06 February 2012 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
The problem of non-maching texts is easily solved by sending your friend a copy of your book. It's equally illegal anyway, so you're not really making things worse...

speightashley
United Kingdom
Joined 4612 days ago

17 posts - 19 votes

Message 11 of 14
06 February 2012 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
I'm pretty sure that copyright states that is it is for personal use and you own a copy of the original then there is no breach of copyright.
This is how it stands with reproducing music. For example, people cover songs of artists on youtube all of the time. They are not in breach of copyright because they are not benefiting financially from it.
If each person that owns the book is just exchanging the language betweek each other then surly there is no law broken?

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5160 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 12 of 14
06 February 2012 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
This is hairier than it seems, especially when the copyright holders are in power positions and the current legal copyright notices are vague enough (check my and jazzboy.bebop's previous comments). It is not about you making money, it is about them thinking you make them lose it. If it happens, you're fried.

speightashley
United Kingdom
Joined 4612 days ago

17 posts - 19 votes

Message 13 of 14
06 February 2012 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Fair point. I totally understand this with the state or copyright at the moment. It is proabably better to stay away from the idea and just wait for the big companies to steal this golden idea themselves ;-)

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5160 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 14 of 14
06 February 2012 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
Believe me, I would totally change the statu quo if I could.

I think the reason why all this has gotten so out of hand is something I have trouble to understand, and it's that people allow others to make money from their work, and eventually let them take control. We would be much better off if each person were the only one who could charge for his/her work:

Sure authors should get money for writing their books, but who else? Their children? Their spouses? Their friends? Why in the name of God? No, just pay the guy some good money, and let him burn it the way he likes best (f.e. by giving it all to his wife, kids and friends, because it's his money and it's up to him), but don't pay anyone else for it, for the simple reason that they didn't do it.

So, I got a book, or DVD or whatever. It was physically made by someone, OK, let's pay the printer for the printing and binding and such. But say I prefer an electronic edition to download--sure he'll still want to get my money if I let him. Sorry, no way José.

You're a publisher? OK, you prepare and publish the works, you deserve some money for it. But if the author gets a better deal from another publisher and I get the other guy's edition, you just shut up and let the other guy take his money.

You're the IT preparing a fancy electronic edition or whatever? You may get your money if I use your stuff, but not if I use other derivatives from the original that are not yours.

Etc., etc. Summing it up: do they work? give them money; they don't? let the vultures get a life. I'm sure this will have some unforeseen complications at every level, and we can discuss them, but I think we'd build a much better world in the end if every time we made rules we aspired to and defended the ideal where people get paid for doing upright work, and we made sure to actively prosecute anything with the foul whiff of 'vulture labour division': you work, I feast on it. Just think who would be against that... :)

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version