Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
cosmicwonder
United States
Joined 4618 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 6
28 January 2012 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
I took the advice on the main pages of this website (not the forum) to buy FSI to learn my target language, Polish.
However, I don't know what is an effective way to learn from FSI if you are not in a classroom setting. I'm
particularly struggling with the following questions:

1.) How do you know when you are done with a unit and ready to move onto the next one?
2.) How do you transition from the FSI recordings to holding impromptu conversations (especially if you're just
learning on your own and not in a classroom setting)? I'm particularly concerned that I will learn these phrases in
FSI, but have trouble when I am actually speaking to Polish speakers.

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6843 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
28 January 2012 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
You have to trust yourself.

1 If you understand everything and manage to give correct answers most of the time, you're probably ready to go on to the next unit. There's no harm in repeating some of the lessons, but don't repeat them so much so you memorize the actual drills.

2 Do your best to make the language active, whether it's voice chatting with people over Skype, writing emails to a penpal, talking to native speakers in real life, writing a diary, thinking in the language on your own etc.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6554 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 3 of 6
29 January 2012 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
For speaking, you can also talk to yourself. I used to hold imaginary conversations with myself when there wasn't anyone else to talk to, and I found it very helpful.

TehGarnt
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4786 days ago

33 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 6
29 January 2012 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
1) According to the instructions for FSI German, which I completed, you're done with a
unit when you can correctly respond to the drills without hesitation. This takes many
hours of grinding repetition but is a very thorough way of learning grammar. A downside
is that you don't learn much vocabulary while you're doing this, so you won't be able to
have a decent conversation for a long time if you don't use anything else.
2) By speaking to people in Polish! I found I could use the material that I'd learnt.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4943 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 6
29 January 2012 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
1. A huge help is the audio. When you are answering correctly most the time, you have
learnt your grammar and vocabulary but sometimes you'll probably need more practice on
the pronunciation or on avoiding hesitation. But if you are choosing between
imperfection on getting too bored, take imperfection and continue to prevent "burning
out".

2. The drill exercises are great at engraving the grammar structures deep in your
memory so that you won't stumble on them in the impromptu converstations. But the
vocabulary amount and range is not that large so it's up to you to find sources
relevant to you and to topics you may speak with people about.

Yes, you will learn to speak the best by speaking and tons of practice but
underestimating the role of grammar is a mistake. Grammar by itself won't get you
speaking. But not-learnt grammar can slow your progress down a lot.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4823 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 6 of 6
29 January 2012 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
FSI was designed for full time study - one full 40-hour week per chapter, usually.
Students wouldn't move on until they "overlearned" a lesson and could recite it from
heart. It's not practical for us to use it that way at home, and without an instructor,
so we need to adapt it to our needs.

I move on when I average about 80% of a set right. I picked that up from Pimsleur.

Transitioning from a course to real life speaking is always hard. I don't know the right
way to do it, beyond that at some point you need to dive in!

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version