Voi
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4616 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 22
30 January 2012 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
//Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum I couldn't figure out which was the best place to ask//

I dunno I'm just someone who can't stand SRS, it can be doable for awhile, but when it starts feeling like it's a chore I justdon't know if I can use it anymore. By the time I get back to it so many reviews pile up, that I just can't be bothered to pick it up again. [and it seems like I sometimes wasted time creating decks.]

I even made flash cards in person I did with the Srs type method, which is actually a lot more nicer than the computer version for me, that is until cards feel like they start getting so disorganized/taking up all your desk space sometimes getting lost, that, that itself discourages you and you wish they were in a computer program.

I've read AJATT's website, and it sounds like a good method to be immersed like that, but it sounds like it realies on the SRS.
Maybe if I actually had someone commanding me I needed to learn such and such by such a day, I'd be able to do it.
[I'd have an easier time reading a textbook than working on the srs, but I feel like my textbook isn't really helping me that much, it will for the moment I study it, but then it wears away once you're off concentrating on something else]

Would just reading, and every so often recording down a vocab word in a wordpad document that I recognize but don't actually know, be of any use? [assuming I'm reading something] Or does that just sound like failure/waste of time waiting to happen?

But yeah I'm just wondering if there's any efficiant strategy to learn a language with a home immersion without the whole SRS thing?
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5315 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 22
30 January 2012 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
A lot of us on this forum learned plenty of languages before internet was commonly used, let alone SRS. I don't like SRS either; why are you forcing yourself to use it?

I don't know all that much about AJATT -- or how SRS is a part of it -- but there are plenty of other ways to expose yourself to new vocabulary, or to review what you previously acquiered.

I usually focus on speaking from the start, so personally, most of my practice, review and learning (such as looking up words I need but don't know or remember) goes through oral production, either with a partner or through self-talk.
2 persons have voted this message useful

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6486 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 22
30 January 2012 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
If SRS does not work for you, don't use it.

Immersion is not dependent on SRS, you can still focus on a Target Language a la AJJAT
-- only read in the TL,
-- only interact with media, movies, tv, etc in TL,
-- only write in TL, when possible,
-- work on vocab building however you can or want to, but do it,

You might try word lists instead as an alternate strategy that works too.
If you read AJJAT, he suggest that your strategy should be fun.

Edited by zenmonkey on 30 January 2012 at 10:01pm

eggcluck
China
Joined 4635 days ago

168 posts - 278 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 4 of 22
31 January 2012 at 5:40am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

I don't know all that much about AJATT

AJATT is nothing special, just a website that basically says read lots of books and watch TV. Most articles are usually similar to what can be found on anti moon and has a few links to questionable blogs of motivational speakers who themselves do not actually say much and just waffle on.

The site does have a cult following, people who will happily spit venom at anyone who disagrees with anything mentioned in the AJATT bible.

I have read the site in its entirenenty and I did not find anything particulary original. Other than its various pieces of marketting and product plugs.

I think the strong answer to learning via immersion with out an SRS is, Of course you can! Humans have been learning languages via immersion for centuries sometimes with out electricity and even when they can not read! I blame AJATT for connecting SRS with immersion in the minds of many. I feel if the immersion is sufficent then SRS is of a limited benifit. I have played with it for various things. As time goes on I find my self drawn more and more to the conlcusion that SRS is only useful for exams, drilling writing of non latin characters and cramming.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6516 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 5 of 22
31 January 2012 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Voi wrote:
I dunno I'm just someone who can't stand SRS, it can be doable for awhile, but when it starts feeling like it's a chore I justdon't know if I can use it anymore. By the time I get back to it so many reviews pile up, that I just can't be bothered to pick it up again. [and it seems like I sometimes wasted time creating decks.]

I love SRS and I use it all the time, but that happens to me, too. When I get tired and bored, I stop doing it. When the revisions pile up, I delete the deck. Then I go without SRS for a while. Then I start a new deck. Works great.

Don't be afraid to delete your decks, is my advice. Once you get a word up to a frequency where you only need to see it once a month to remember it, you'll probably encounter it often enough so that it's not necessary to keep it in there, anyway.

LpMagilicutty
United States
Joined 6121 days ago

24 posts - 26 votes
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog, German, Italian, French

Message 6 of 22
31 January 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Have you read the blog on the Gold List method? I can't do flash cards either. But I can do "Gold List".
Actually I only do the initial list, gleaned from the reading. I don't condense the lists further. Works for me
because it makes me focus on the words better, but there is no pressure to review once you write the words
down. I find that keeping the lists in a notebook is helpful because I start to recognize words and flip back to
see if they were in a previous days' reading, thus reinforcing the words.
Some days later I reread the "gold list" reading passages. I find much of the vocab has been remembered
without flashcard like review.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6637 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 22
31 January 2012 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
Immersion and Ajatt are things that maximize exposure, respectively in a place where your target language is spoken all around you and at home where you have to create the environment yourself. And both things must be seen as effective and relevant.

You can use SRS in some form (flash cards, ANKI) or wordlists in some form (goldlists or my three column layout) with immersion, and theoretically that should be the ideal situation. If you can't stand neither of those things you have to fall back on immersion, and then you just have to as active and retentive as possible. The thing both SRS and wordlists can do is to put repetition into a system, which is one well tested method of adding new items to your vocabulary -and you can do that even without actually being immersed. If your don't use those methods you have to use other tricks to make sure that you see (or hear) words more than once, and outside immersion that can be a problem.

The backside of immersion or other situations with massive input is that it can be difficult to get comprehensible input - endless cryptic babble will just pass through your head without leaving traces. And in that situation the logical thing is to use formalized techniques to crack the code. Getting a large passive vocabulary early is in my experience the best and most effective cure, and I fail to see how you can get that without using some kind of formalized input technique - unless you let somebody feed you comprehensible bits and pieces in mouthsize chunks (that's what courses and moms and dads are for).

Edited by Iversen on 31 January 2012 at 10:49am

4 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5196 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 8 of 22
31 January 2012 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
I've never used SRS. I don't plan on using SRS either. I agree with @Arekkusu and @leosmith start speaking early and start listening early. Where I do find the ajatt method useful is in exposing yourself to as much native content as possible. In my opinion, that alone won't take you where you want to go. You need to interact with the language as much as possible and not look at it as a "thing" to be studied but as a way to communicate with people.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version