22 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 22
31 January 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Where I do find the ajatt method useful is in exposing yourself to as much native content as possible. In my opinion, that alone won't take you where you want to go.
This depends on where you want to go:) And quite literally, it depends on how soon you want/need to go there. If you want/need to read, you won't learn enough from interacting with native speakers.

@ OP, do you put individual words or sentences on your cards? Try sentences and choose those that really interest you. For me, SRS is a way to relive the wonderful moments I've had in my target languages. Most of my cards are very special to me, but if needed I delete ruthlessly.

(The AJATT guy recommends against deleting entire decks and I agree. Delete your cards one at a time till you actually want to keep one.)
1 person has voted this message useful

Superking
Diglot
Groupie
United States
polyglutwastaken.blo
Joined 6577 days ago

87 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 22
31 January 2012 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
If people learned languages before SRS was conceptualized, then yes, it's possible.

SRS is an extremely interesting concept, but this is the first I'm hearing of it, despite having developed a relatively strong mastery of Spanish over the last 10 years and spending the last 1 year learning Mandarin. The basic structure of the language-learning experience will continue being the same for the foreseeable future -- it's just the methodology that changes.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4943 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 22
31 January 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
I have never thought of immersion being anyhow dependent on using an srs. What I took
from ajatt, was to do as many things as possible in the language and that frequency of
exposure means more than pure amount.

If you cannot stand SRS (and I understand, I left anki some time ago), there are many
other options:

1. memrise.com
a bit different srs. It may sound stupid that I enjoy practicing vocabulary by planting
virtual flowers but I do. It feels like a game and a little competition and I can
easily see how much have I done. A great thing is, that you can use various stacks
without bothering with the same words. You have seen it somewhere else already? Great,
let's continue where you stopped. A disadvantage:no offline learning

2.wordlists, including Iversen's method, goldlist, thematic lists...
a great thing, especially if it helps you to have things organised. And no matter what
kind of lists you choose, you can keep them tamed in one or more exercise books instead
of letting them conquer your desk, bag and the many corners of your home where a
flashcard shouldn't be.

3. Pure immersion and context learning
in this case, reading, no matter whether intensive or extensive, is your friend. And a
bit later listening. After seeing an important word ten times in various contexts, you
are very likely to remember it. If it doesn't appear that much, than it probably not
that important. Writing in books, unless they belong to someone else, is a good help as
well.

4. Good old simple writing down words you learn.
This old way of having a small notebook with you and just reviewing a word and a
translation, and testing yourself,is often neglected here as we all want the "better,
faster and modern" ways. But it has worked for many people in past, so there is no
reason why it shouldn't work again if you take it seriously and open the small notebook
enough times.

Any way of spending time with the vocabulary will work. The methods, techniques and
whole science of vocab learning is just a sauce which makes us digest the words better,
the principle is the same.
4 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6484 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 12 of 22
01 February 2012 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
I believe an SRS is an inefficient tool if you are essentially spending all day studying, immersed in your host country.
You will spend too much time doing reviews with an SRS. Word lists with limited reviews will get you there much
faster, imo. I wish I could say exposure alone is enough in this case, but it isn't for me. I still need to isolate the
vocabulary and learn it on the side. But the good thing about so much exposure is that a lot less review is required.

Spending an hour or two a day in your home country is a different ball game. In that case, I prefer an SRS, at least
for a few months.

Javi
Spain
Joined 5915 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 13 of 22
02 February 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
I think that if you're doing a lot of passive immersion but you can't get yourself to
use the language actively (writing and talking with native speakers), then SRS is the
next best thing, along with reading aloud and thinking in your target language. You
could also try to repeat whole sentences from your short term memory, not just read them
in your SRS collection. That said, to answer your question, I don't think that home
immersion is enough to speak a language fluently, not even with SRS, let alone without
it.

Edited by Javi on 02 February 2012 at 5:03pm

leosmith
United States
Joined 6484 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 14 of 22
03 February 2012 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
Javi wrote:
I think that if you're doing a lot of passive immersion but you can't get yourself to
use the language actively (writing and talking with native speakers), then SRS is the
next best thing

Regarding getting yourself to use the language actively - why do you think an SRS is better than a list?

Javi
Spain
Joined 5915 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 15 of 22
03 February 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Javi wrote:
I think that if you're doing a lot of passive immersion
but you can't get yourself to
next best thing

Regarding getting yourself to use the language actively - why do you think an SRS is
better than a list?

I think that the concept of SRS is all about reviewing your material, which could
really be a lot of thinks, including lists. Reviewing means paying attention to things
that you wouldn't normally while doing passive immersion, like little grammatical
words, helping you bridge the gap to a more active command of the language. You can
also drill* some basic stuff so that you can make up for the lack of speaking. For me
the fact that these revisions are fully automated is the key point, because that way
it's easier to turn the language practice into a daily habit. But perhaps I'm assuming
too many things, for example I would think that most people here are in friendly terms
with computers and use them pretty much every day, but that may not be the case of
course.

All that said, perhaps you were more interested in the difference between working with
words in lists and working with sentences or chunks of text in flash cards. Am I right?
If that's the case it would be great to read your opinion.

* In terms of SRS, if you need to drill something you may want to add a lot of related
or similar cards, because not a single card is repeated enough to call it drilling
(unless you always get it wrong of course)

Edited by Javi on 03 February 2012 at 3:57pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6484 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 16 of 22
03 February 2012 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Sorry - I just misunderstood you before. Nice post.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version