18 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4634 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 18
01 February 2012 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Just wondering, When I come across a sentence or phrase in Pinyin that doesnt have characters or a translation to it, how can I find out what it means?

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5315 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 18
01 February 2012 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
JayR9 wrote:
Just wondering, When I come across a sentence or phrase in Pinyin that doesnt have characters or a translation to it, how can I find out what it means?

By looking it up in a dictionary?

If you mean that the same pronunciation can refer to various characters, well you have to rely on context, just like you would when listening. The same problem comes up in English if I write a word like "tear".

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4634 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 3 of 18
01 February 2012 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Sorry I meant is there anywhere I can basically copy and paste it, or even write it into somewhere and It translates It for me? The whole sentence rather than looking up each word by itself.

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5349 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 4 of 18
01 February 2012 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
Or, alternatively, you can try asking the good folks on HTLAL...

JayR9 wrote:
Sorry I meant is there anywhere I can basically copy and paste it, or even write it into somewhere and It translates It for me? The whole sentence rather than looking up each word by itself.

Unfortunately, that contextual-recognition technology isn't even anywhere close to existing yet.

It'd be like trying to translate this sentence from English:

If you will it, when we view that he waves, I will, without spite, tear the bow from the bow of the ship and, with a tear, ship it on an arrow via a bow to you while you bow, and it should miss your head, should you head down quickly enough, in spite of missing the view of the waves.

An accurate translation would be something like this:

If you want, when we see him signaling, I will, not angrily, rip the ribbon from the front of the boat and, with sadness, send it on an arrow via a projectile weapon to you while you bend at the waist, and it should avoid your skull, if you go down quickly enough, despite not being able to enjoy the scenery of the ocean.

Of course, with a language as syntactically different as Mandarin, it would probably come out like this:

When do we see him waving, if you will, I will, despite, cry the bend from the ribbon of the send and, with ripping, boat it on arrow with curtsey to you while you projectile weapon, and it should be nostalgic for your head, you should skull down quickly enough, with anger avoiding to see of hand signal.

The style of the above sentence ought to be familiar to anyone used to inputting entire paragraphs from Mandarin into Google Translate.

In fact, when use Google Translate to translate the original sentence into Mandarin and back into English, this is the outcome:

If you will it, we think, he waves, I will, though not from the bow, the bow tear, a tear, through the ship's bow to your arrow when you bow, it should miss your head, you should head down fast enough, despite the missing waves.

This is when inputting directly from the original Chinese characters. Now imagine how much more nonsensical it would be were it to try to guess the meanings of the imprecise pinyin, each of which has dozens of homophones.

Edited by nway on 01 February 2012 at 7:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4634 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 5 of 18
01 February 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
It is what is on Rosetta Stone. I would like to understand the words aswel. I will have to write them down the next time I am on it. Thanks

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4633 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 6 of 18
02 February 2012 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
nway wrote:
This is when inputting directly from the original Chinese characters. Now imagine how much more nonsensical it would be were it to try to guess the meanings of the imprecise pinyin, each of which has dozens of homophones.

I don't think it's necessarily true, there are much fewer homophonous words than homophonous characters. Characters could be more difficult to translate than pinyin, as you also have to parse characters into words.

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5349 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 7 of 18
02 February 2012 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
^ Erm, what? How can a character even be homophonous? Characters don't have any intrinsic sounds...

leosmith
United States
Joined 6484 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 8 of 18
02 February 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
I agree with LaughingChimp. If there are spaces between the words, cutting and pasting them into a dictionary
would narrow down your choices significantly more than single characters. Still waiting to hear about a better
method for the op though.

nway wrote:
Characters don't have any intrinsic sounds...

You lost me. Characters have readings, right?

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version