tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5800 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 4
03 February 2012 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
This thread is inspired by zenmonkey's recent post on mnemonics using mind-mapping software:

zenmonkey wrote:

So as to not hijack his thread, here is a new one on mind-mapping software for language learning.

Question for zenmonkey: It looks like your software is FreeMind or something similar. I am curious about what other ways you may be using mind-mapping for language learning. I use FreeMind a lot but have not found how to use its full potential for language learning. It seems there should be some excellent methods. I have seen the online linked words applications. They are neat to play with but I have not found them to be useful.

The main way I use FreeMind is to build trees of themes, with branches and sub-branches of increasing detail.

Example:
House
-Kitchen
--Stove
--Fridge
-Living Room
--Sofa
--Chair

Of course, it is all in linked, expanding graphics.

I do something similar with groups of sentences for basic conversations, etc. Everything is quick and easy to get to, and easy to make.

FreeMind is free and easy to install and use. FreeMind

But I think there must be much more effective ways to use mind-mapping software for language learning.

Anyone got some good methods that they find effective?

3 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5603 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 4
03 February 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
I use FreeMind on my notebook and iThoughtsHD on my iPad. About a year ago I made a video showing how I use them for language learning.

Rather than use them to express themes, I use them for idioms and grammar, such as capturing phrasal verbs to catch the subtle differences in use between them.

2 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5800 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 3 of 4
03 February 2012 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
I use FreeMind on my notebook and iThoughtsHD on my iPad. About a year ago I made a video showing how I use them for language learning.

Thanks for that video. That is a nice approach to learning the various usages or words and a good overview of using mind-mapping for language learning. It brings up a couple of questions.

1. The nice printouts. Did you make those just for the video or do you find them better in that format than just using them on a computer or iPad?

2. I like organising material, such as irregular verbs, into FreeMind. It is often useful just to input and see the various connections between words and expressions. But I find I don't really go back later and use it. Now I know (and use) your 15 minute cycles for getting lots of things done. But I don't tend to iterate through this kind of material. Probably you do and I don't, and that is my problem. Do you have any other methodology to actually "use" the mind-mapping?

1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5603 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 4 of 4
03 February 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
I actually made the printouts before I had an ipad, so I could use them "on the move". These days, I just use the ipad since it helps me play with the maps interactively.

For the most part, I find that I write maps more than I read them: I don't really use them as reference material. Rather, just the process of creating them helps me organise my thoughts. When new things come up, or I realise I misunderstood something, I go back to the maps and rework them, again as a thinking tool rather than an archive.

Having said all this, I don't spend a great deal of time on mindmaps compared to all the other things that I have to do just to get something to finally sink into my feeble mind.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version