Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

My Language Learning Guide

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Would you be interested in learning my guide to language learning?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [66.67%]
5 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

18 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
WillyJames
Canada
Joined 5035 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: French*
Studies: English, Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 18
07 February 2012 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone
My name is Jean-William Perreault.,I am a young-16-year-old student living in Montreal,
Quebec, Canada.,For over a year I studied Russian and thus discovered a great passion
for language learning.
At school, I am in the International Program, IB (International Baccalaureate).,I am
now in my fifth and final year of high school.,For this last year as a student in the
IB program I have to do what is called a personal project.

Essentially, I have to choose a certain problem and try to find a solution to it in a
rather complex process where I need to develop a logbook, a text analysis of the issue
and a way to achieve,my goal which is to solve the original problem.,In short, this
long project spans on about 10 months.

The problem I chose is foreign language learning by self-instruction.,When I tell
people that I'm learning Russian, of course they are impressed, but they mainly call
me crazy. They pretend that to be fluent in it I will need at least 10 years of
dedicated study, or that I am gifted in language learning .,All these false beliefs and
myths are too deeply inlaid in people's mind and discourage too many people about
language learning.

Therefore, I would like to create a guide to language learning, the basic pillars
ensuring success. A guide intended for complete,beginners,in this area. When I started
to learn Russian last year I had absolutely no clue on how to do this. So I had to
search the whole internet and find resources and tips on language learning. To help
people in their elementary phase, I decided to create that guide.

I was wondering if you anyone here would be interested in reading it and giving me some
feedback about it. (Also because I really need some feedback in order to pass that
project and get a good mark.)

The guide however is in French.

Looking forward to receiving your responses and thank you for reading.

Jean-William Perreault

[EDIT] Here's the link to the guide:
1nibkbjsjn1l1rz44e8w">http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/81124 492?access_key=key-
1nibkbjsjn1l1rz44e8w

Here's the link to the survey

Thank You in advance

Edited by WillyJames on 10 February 2012 at 2:19am

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6484 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 2 of 18
07 February 2012 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
Sure. Just post a link.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 18
07 February 2012 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
I'm interested but I don't speak French. It would be great if you posted a summary in English (or Spanish or Russian, hehe)

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6516 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 18
07 February 2012 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
Post a link and I'll probably give it a read-through. What sources are you using? Lots of people here have their own methods for language learning. Hang around here for a while and search the forums for methods like Shadowing, Listening-Reading, Gold List, Iversen's List, SRS, AJATT, Passive Wave, Self-talking, The Schliemann Method and I'm sure there are other methods I'm forgetting about. This forum has taught me so much about the self-study of languages.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4943 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 18
07 February 2012 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
I would be interested in reading it as well.

But I should warn you that you may get not only much more feedback on this forum than
from most other people but perhaps even more than you want :-)

In general it sounds to be a great idea to create such a guide, so I am quite curious at
the result. You said it was intended for beginners but is there as well advice on how to
progress not only to intermediate but as well to advanced level and fluency? How far are
you with your Russian?
3 persons have voted this message useful

WillyJames
Canada
Joined 5035 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes

Message 6 of 18
08 February 2012 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
Thank you for you kind responses! That's really appreciated! :)
First of all I would like to say, that this is mainly a school project of a 16-year-old
student, so it may not be the best. But I've puted a lot of effort in the making of
guide, and I tried to do my best. I hope you will like it. :)

And if it can become a reference guide for beginners to have an overview of how to
learn a language I'd be very pleased, and I would for sure translate it in English and
other languages.

@Cavesa The way I did it, I divided the guide in 5 diffrerent chapters
The first is talking about the myths and the false beliefs about language learning, the
different ingredients needed such as the state of mind, time management, setting goals,
choosing your target language and the CECR levels.
The second one, is The beginner phase (A1-A2)
The third one is the intermediate phase (B1-B2)
The fourth is the advanced phase (C1-C2)
The the fifth one, some useful tools like many different techniques to speed up the
process such as Iversen's list, Shadowing, different ways to use assimil and so on,
mnemonics, mind maps, learning from songs.

For my russian I guess I am at a somewhat B1 Level for now. This project ironically
prevented me from studying russian everyday for the last six months... :(

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4943 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 7 of 18
08 February 2012 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
That is quite a common phenomenon that thinking of language learning keeps you from the
learning itself :-) The more in combination with forum addiction.

Don't underestimate your project. Your age should not prevent it from being great as long
as you have put your best efforts in and you are speaking of something you love.

So, where is the link?

WillyJames
Canada
Joined 5035 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes

Message 8 of 18
08 February 2012 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
I should post the guide tomorrow along with a little survey so I can evaluate the impact
of my project!

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version