Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

My Language Learning Guide

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Would you be interested in learning my guide to language learning?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [66.67%]
5 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

18 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5315 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 9 of 18
08 February 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
I recommend you aim your guide at other students your age. We all have very different lifestyles and I don't think you could come up with a simple guide that would apply to all; since it's the school project of a 16-year-old student, as you put it, target high school students whose situation you understand well.

In another thread, we discussed attrition rate. Basically, almost everyone who starts a self-learning program gives up -- something like 98%-99%. Make sure you address this.

Lastly, I'm guessing you grew up exposed to a lot of English, making Russian the first and only language you actually studied. Does that qualify you to write a language learning guide? I suppose you are limited for time, but how about starting a new language with a self-guide method yourself and documenting your ups and downs for say a month or two (if you have the time) and see what you learn from the process?

Edited by Arekkusu on 08 February 2012 at 3:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

WillyJames
Canada
Joined 5035 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: French*
Studies: English, Spanish, Russian

Message 10 of 18
09 February 2012 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I recommend you aim your guide at other students your age. We all
have very different lifestyles and I don't think you could come up with a simple guide
that would apply to all; since it's the school project of a 16-year-old student, as you
put it, target high school students whose situation you understand well.

Well, actually there's no such a thing as a guide that "can apply to all" in this
world, because it is simply unachievable. And my goal was not to make such a thing
neither. Also, many adults in my entourage asked me to do a similar guide, and I think
that the only difference between a 16-year-old and an adult would be in time
management.

Arekkusu wrote:

In another thread, we discussed attrition rate. Basically, almost everyone who starts a
self-learning program gives up -- something like 98%-99%. Make sure you address this.

Thank you for the tips, I'll add these statistics in my analysis text.

Arekkusu wrote:

Lastly, I'm guessing you grew up exposed to a lot of English, making Russian the first
and only language you actually studied. Does that qualify you to write a language
learning guide? I suppose you are limited for time, but how about starting a new
language with a self-guide method yourself and documenting your ups and downs for say a
month or two (if you have the time) and see what you learn from the process?

Well, I did not grow up exposed to a lot of English taht much. The only way I got
exposed to it was by listening to English music and reading in English on the internet.
Funny how Guns 'N Roses or Scorpions can teach you a few things in English! :-)
So, I don't know any grammar at all.

So far, I've studied German, Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish and Russian. The first time I
tried to learn a language was 5 years ago with German. Because I didnt know any
effective techniques, method, requirement or ressources I didnt not acheive any good
level. So during these 5 last years I thought I had no talent in language learning and
that I could never learn one. Until last year, when I heard of Assimil. So during these
5 long years, I discovered de do's and dont's of language learning.

Yes your Idea for the guide is good, however due to my project, I cannot do that
because, the IB (the program I am in) wants me to do something to help a certain
community conerning a defined problem and then analyse the impact I had on that
community. And the due date for the whole project is on february 27th.

I should post the guide along with the survey in a few hours.

Thank you

Willy James
2 persons have voted this message useful

WillyJames
Canada
Joined 5035 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes

Message 11 of 18
15 February 2012 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone! My guide is now online since some days, so if you wanna read it, just look
at my first post! It would really be kind of you to read it!

Thank you very much!

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5064 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 12 of 18
15 February 2012 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
WillyJames wrote:
Hi everyone! My guide is now online since some days, so if you wanna read it, just look

Thank you very much!

Unrelated to the guide's content, is it possible in Scribd to give your document a title so it shows up in the browser's title bar?

As is, if someone were to bookmark the document, they'll only see "Scribd" in their bookmarks, which isn't all that helpful. I know you can change the properties when bookmarking a site, but I wonder how many people actually take the time to do that. It would also help others that use a system such as ReadItLater.

Just a suggestion.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 15 February 2012 at 1:53am

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5278 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 13 of 18
15 February 2012 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
Too bad I can't read it. D:

WillyJames
Canada
Joined 5035 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes

Message 14 of 18
17 February 2012 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
When my project will be over (I mean related to school) I'll probably make a English
translation of it. Patience :)

WillyJames
Canada
Joined 5035 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes

Message 15 of 18
17 February 2012 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
WillyJames wrote:
Hi everyone! My guide is now online since some
days, so if you wanna read it, just look

Thank you very much!

Unrelated to the guide's content, is it possible in Scribd to give your document a
title so it shows up in the browser's title bar?

As is, if someone were to bookmark the document, they'll only see "Scribd" in their
bookmarks, which isn't all that helpful. I know you can change the properties when
bookmarking a site, but I wonder how many people actually take the time to do that. It
would also help others that use a system such as ReadItLater.

Just a suggestion.

R.
==

That's a good thing you point here! Actually, Ive put the name of the document in
Scribd, however the site seems not to like it and change the title of the page to
Scribd. But I,ve noticed that the problem occurs only in the fullscreen mode. (The link
I posted is in that mode). In order to have the right title if it is in full
screen, click on the scribd logo in the lower-left corner of the page. It will
automatcly close the fullscreen and go to the document's normal page. From there it
should be all right to bookmark it.

Edited by WillyJames on 17 February 2012 at 1:56am

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6486 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 16 of 18
17 February 2012 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Nice document, It covers a lot of good techniques and methods that match my own or that are discussed here without being a catalog of all methods. Love the motivation part.

I won't comment further as I think it might color the input you get on your survey.

Aside from the good grade that you'll get (I hope) -- it looks like you'll learn a lot if you follow your own guide!

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version