Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

My Language Learning Guide

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Would you be interested in learning my guide to language learning?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [66.67%]
5 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

18 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4943 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 17 of 18
19 February 2012 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
Good job, the guide is overall really good. I wondered whether to write my feedback in
a private message or here but I think I should leave my comments public for others to
either join or correct me.

The form and "image" of the guide is really nice and pleasant. It works well for the
reader. Just two details. One sentence from page 8 got to page 7 accidentally. And
second, I was often told to not end a line with "short words" such as prepositions. It
makes the flow less smooth for the reader. I have less feel for this in French, but I
guess une, celle, ne , tres fall in this category. It is not too important, just if you
aim for formal perfection :-)

To the content

Myth 1-Thanks for fighting the "accent religion". Too many people take accent as a huge
obstacle to learning.

To the motivation. I personally would like to see there encouragement for people who
are just attracted to the language or culture and are mostly discouraged by the lack of
"the huge reason" but that is just my personal opinion. The part is fine as it is.

The tables with numbers of speakers. They come from different source than my knowledge,
which is fine but there is a huge mistake at the number of native Czech speakers. I
wish there were 95 millions of us... but I guess you meant 9,5 millions. It is not a
correct number in my opinion, since there are more than ten million in the Czech
Republic and about half a million or million abroad (some sources say even two millions
but I don't believe that) but it is still closer to truth than 95 millions. I think
some other numbers are not too precise as well but I don't dare to tell without getting
more information. How old is your source?

The resources.

On the page 32 you give an advice to use all the resources. I know you mean it well and
it is, of course, needed to combine more resources but saying it this way may either
scare people off or lead to them spreading themselves too thin.

The resources you recommend have one major flaw, in my opinion. All but Assimil are
English based. Many of your readers are considering learning their first language
properly and it is very likely to be English. I know, as this forum is English based
and most members are native English speakers, we are kind of forgetting other options.
But it doesn't mean there are none. Even in Czech, there are at least one or two
courses suitable for self-study for each major language and many of the less popular
ones so don't tell me there is lack of French based resources.

One kind of resources you could add are podcasts. It would suit the learning style you
propose quite well.

Intermediate phase. Firstly, at A2 level, you are very unlikely to read a novel or
speak with a native without too many troubles. If I tried too much at the A2 level, I
would be more likely to throw the novel in the corner and apologize the native speaker
for boring them than to progress fast as you suggest. It may work for some people but I
don't think the majority.

At intermediate phase, you are right that there are much less resources. And I hoped to
find tips on those in your guide. Unfortunately, there are not many. There could be
exemples of those intermediate courses (such as "hey, assimil has an intermediate
course, and so does TY...), perhaps mention of graded readers and easier listening
material (such as radio news in easier language).

I think one heading is missing in the "Comment travailer avec un texte" section. You
have "Choix" heading, an article on choosing and right after you have your recipe on
using the text.

The advanced section is good. There is not much to add.

The trouble of any guide on learning languages in general tends to be "being too
general". The author doesn't want to bother German learners with sources for Spanish
learners etc. so they often stay with the resources available for many languages. I
hoped you would get out of this trap by using your own experience with Russian. It
would make the guide more personal, which I don't think would be considered wrong by
your teachers. And it would be a great exemple, not only for learners of Russian, on
how to orient yourself in the ocean of choices. I mean something like an additional
article about yourself after each relevant part.

I hope you won't find me too critical or taking your joy from completed work away, it
was not my intention. I think your work will get excellent grades as it is of very good
quality (and much better than something I would have writen on the topic five years ago
:-) ). These are mostly tips if you want to make further use of the guide. In the
survey, you ask about the translations. So I understood you would like to make the
guide publicly available. That may even give you more space for upgrades but on the
other hand, it will create more need for them, such as in research for resources. (I
mean, if you want to aim among others at Russian natives learning languages, you cannot
offer them only English based resources and Assimil (either English,French, German or
Spanish based one).
1 person has voted this message useful

WillyJames
Canada
Joined 5035 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: French*
Studies: English, Spanish, Russian

Message 18 of 18
19 February 2012 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for your feedback!!! This is absolutly great!
When all this project will be over, I'm maybe planning on making translations and updates
of the guide if people think it is interresting and useful enough. I will really take
your comments into account.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version