Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How to not care about "failed" SRS cards?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
juman
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5152 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 12
11 February 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
I'm working quite a lot with Anki/SRS to learn both words and expressions and today I had a session when I went
through about 40 cards with facts that was new to me in the beginning of the week. Of these 40 cards I had 8
that I "failed" so I queued them up for tomorrow again and out of those I had 3 where I almost felt that I saw
them for the first time even though I have seen them at least 4 times this week.

So what did I do after this... Well I got frustrated with myself that I couldn't remember the 8 cards and felt sad I'm
so "stupid" I don't even remember seeing some of them before. Then I started checking the stats and as you can
see I actually did quite well as I got 32 cards out of 40 which is 80%. And that is 32 words I did not know at all in
the beginning of the week which I now can pronounce, read, write and hear in my target language.

So how do you do to not get frustrated over the failed ones?

Regards,

Fredrik

Edited by Fasulye on 15 February 2012 at 1:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4802 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 2 of 12
11 February 2012 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
I do get frustrated when I see the same cards again and again. But then I remind myself that there's a reason why I can't remember them. Either my brain has decided they're not words I use a lot, or they are not yet relevant for my current language proficiency.

I think using that function in Anki that stops showing you the cards after a certain number of failed attempts is quite good (Settings - Deck Properties - Leech Threshold). It's not like you'll never learn those words, you will learn them eventually from other sources than your SRS. And if you don't want to rely on that, you can still check in on them later and make some more effort to study them outside of the SRS.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5352 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 3 of 12
11 February 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
Often it is just a case of putting more active work in learning these items. If you find there are certain cards you consistently have trouble with, suspend them while taking a note of the question and question in a notebook, like you might for Iversen's wordlist method.

Once you have around 10-20 suspended cards that you have noted down, try and treat them like you are learning them for the first time. This can be doing exactly what Iversen does or just focusing on five words at a time, looking at the L2 word and trying to produce the correct translation into L1 for all the words in that block of 5 and when comfortable with that, trying producing the L2 from the L1.

Once you can rattle through all these words in both directions and can do the same after a break of a couple of hours or so, unsuspend your cards and you should have far less trouble with them.

juman
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5152 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French

Message 4 of 12
11 February 2012 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your tips... but I am not really frustrated that I fail with some of the cards. If I didn't I wouldn't be
pushing myself enough to learn new things. But what I don't like is that I kind of only looks at what I didn't learn
instead of the other way around...

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 12
11 February 2012 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
It sounds like you're adding too much at once. Slow down.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 6 of 12
15 February 2012 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
It's all right. Be annoyed, rage about it, then cool down and try again. Everything will stick eventually, just don't let them go.
Personally, I'm not a fan of "suspend them for later". I approach those words aggressively and drill them over and over, beating them into submission. They usually stick really well after I had such a fight with my brain over them.. ;)

How about making a new deck, enable typing in of the word, and just repeat until it works? Then, one hour later, do it again, and once more before you go to bed.
Again the next morning, then you should be comfortable enough with them to encounter them in your normal deck.

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6486 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 7 of 12
15 February 2012 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
Anger is a very good learning tool - rage at that one word, say it out loud several times, "I'm going to get you, damn it". Conquer it, throw it down the hole of servitude to your greatness.

And when it does not work, move on. By the time you've feasted on a thousand cards who cares about the crumbs that fell on the floor. Dogs!

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4605 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 8 of 12
15 February 2012 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
zenmonkey wrote:
Anger is a very good learning tool

It depends on the person and the situation, but I believe in general this isn't true. An increase in anxiety lowers my
efficiency.

article about Stephen Krashen that I can't link to wrote:
the Affective Filter hypothesis, embodies Krashen's view
that a number of 'affective variables' play a facilitative, but non-causal, role in second language acquisition. These
variables include: motivation, self-confidence and anxiety. Krashen claims that learners with high motivation, self-
confidence, a good self-image, and a low level of anxiety are better equipped for success in second language
acquisition. Low motivation, low self-esteem, and debilitating anxiety can combine to 'raise' the affective filter and
form a 'mental block' that prevents comprehensible input from being used for acquisition. In other words, when the
filter is 'up' it impedes language acquisition. On the other hand, positive affect is necessary, but not sufficient on its
own, for acquisition to take place.

OP - How do you reduce anxiety? Good question. In your situation, you might try what many SRS users do. Pre-learn
the items in a list form, or by some other method, before you dump them into the SRS.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version