Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
kokopellime
United States
Joined 4652 days ago

3 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 1 of 4
13 February 2012 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
Learning a language using TPR or Total Physical Response is basically an instructor
driven technique. The instructor says a word or phrase, coupled with an action related
to what has been said and the student mimics the action. Eventually the instructor
says the phrase and the student responds with the learned action. There's more, but
this is the gist of it.

I've never been in a class that uses this technique but it seems like a great way to
learn. Since I have just started to learn Spanish I'm looking for various methods to
accompany my basic study and I would like to incorporate TPR.

Most of the literature on TPR is geared from the instructor's perspective, which I can
perhaps adapt, but I'd like to know if anyone knows of any learner-centered books,
articles or materials for an independent student.
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5064 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 4
13 February 2012 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Aaron over at Everyday Language Learner had an article about it a while back. You can read it here.

I don't know that TPR would really be feasible for a single, independent language learner, to tell you the truth. One of the suggestions in the above-mentioned article is to get a language partner, and get one early on in the learning process.

R.
==

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5800 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 3 of 4
13 February 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
kokopellime wrote:
Learning a language using TPR or Total Physical Response is basically an instructor driven technique.

Your post is exactly what I have considered and wished for in the past. I think a good TPR learning environment would be very effective for language learning. But, almost by definition, it seems like it is difficult to achieve by yourself. I tried to make some of my own audio/video material one time along the lines of (using props and exaggerated speech and hand movements):

"A hammer"
"This is a hammer"
"A nail"
"This is a nail"
"This is a hammer and this is a nail"
"A board"
"This is a board"
"The hammer hits the nail"
"The nail goes into the board"
"I hit the nail with the hammer"
"I hit the nail with the hammer into the board"

If there were massive amounts of this kind of material, if it was done well, if it was interesting, and if it became progressively more advanced, I think it would be a powerful learning tool for language self study.

The main problem is the amount of time and resources required to make such material.

Another problem is the difficulty addressing more abstract things.

There is an example of this technique somewhere on the Internet of a man installing a light switch by connecting wires, etc. It is essentially an instructional video. I am sure there are many others that were not made for TPR but capture the essence of TPR.

It is very difficult and time consuming to make such material for yourself. You can't really do the text script and voice track by yourself anyway. One technique that I use with language partners is to both view an image on the Internet, have the native speaker describe it in detail, and then both people talk about it.

kokopellime
United States
Joined 4652 days ago

3 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 4 of 4
13 February 2012 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the thoughts. One thing I've tried is to watch some of the TPR videos on
YouTube, following the instructor's commands to their students. I also use the concept
as a mnemonic, using certain physical motions (i.e. fake writing on my hand for a verb
like escribir) as a memory trigger. Obviously this is limited but it does allow me to
create a foundation of vocabulary.

So I challenge all of you teachers out there to think about creating a self or semi-
self instructional program that uses TPR concepts. I'm sure there's a market.

As to getting a partner, that's in the works. I attend my first conversation class
this evening and may find someone (most likely a non-native speaker since its a
beginner's class)to work with. I hope to begin breaking my wall about conversation
down. I have friends in the local Latino community that I intend to reach out to and
perhaps find an intercambio partner.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version