Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5337 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 1 of 13
16 February 2012 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
Simple question. Do you listen to music when learning a language? What kind/genre? (I'm
quite interested in knowing what sort of music most language learners listen to). Do
you have something playing in the background when listening to TL?

I listen to all sorts of music. Experimental, electronic, post-rock, indie-folk, alternative rock, indie rock, classical rock, classical music, world music, folk music,
etc. I don't like pop, very few songs that I like from that, and they're all mostly
very similar to the genres I do listen to. I noticed that I listen to equal amount of
instrumental music as I do one with vocals.

I usually have something lighter playing while I'm writing or reading, but I turn it of
when I'm listening to TL. But I like to set a mood, so when I'm practising writing
Japanese I have traditional Japanese music playing, or modern with traditional
instruments or melodies.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4641 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 13
16 February 2012 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
No, it's distracting for me - as much as I love music I keep it separate from studying

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6637 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 13
16 February 2012 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
I can listen to both speech and music if I work with my better languages. With the lousy ones I can still listen to instrumental music, whereas speech is more liable to be disruptive.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5781 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 13
16 February 2012 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
I am a listener of melodious soft pop music and to this kind of music I can listen while studying my target language. But I couldn't listen to aggressive music because this would disrupt my concentration. Somtimes I use music as a background stimulator and sometimes I study without any music, so this depends on my mood.

Fasulye

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4968 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 5 of 13
16 February 2012 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
I like listening to music in my target languages. I find it especially helpful now, as I am doing the 6WC for French. All the true meanings of the lyrics of art songs I know are coming back to me.

I tend not to listen to music while I am studying or reading, though. That I find distracting.

Tenebrarum
Groupie
United States
Joined 5340 days ago

84 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi

Message 6 of 13
16 February 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Generally speaking I need complete silence to truly concentrate on my studies (even in my
native language), but when studying my TL I'm usually listening to music. This is mainly
because I will start experiencing withdrawal symptoms if I go too long without music XD.
But when reading in my TL I try to listen to something more instrumental in nature, or
something where the vocals won't be too distracting. Lately I've been really into
Goa/Psy Trance - otherwise, Black Metal will fit the bill. I also listen to music in my
TL very often. These are only a few of my favorite genres, but the most common during my
studies.     

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5762 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 7 of 13
17 February 2012 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
For me it depends on the task. I like to listen to something uplifting that makes me feel like getting things done
when I do tasks like kanji writing practice or entering new words to Anki. If I have to pay closer attention to the
grammar or parse longer sentences, however, I need the music to be either instrumental, or in a language that I
don't understand, otherwise it distracts me. In this case I often just don't bother with music.

I do sometimes use music for studying in and of itself. I like to memorize lyrics in my TL and look up their
meanings, and will often put on songs that I've been working on and sing along to relax myself.

Oh, and I listen to about the same range of music you do. I especially tend to go after indie rock and electronica in
my TL, but I listen to a much wider range outside my TL. I have a LOT of celtic and african music.

Edited by Luai_lashire on 17 February 2012 at 2:47am

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4799 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 13
18 February 2012 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
I love music too much to let study distract me from listening.
I love studying Spanish too much to let music distract me from my books.

"When you sit, just sit. When you walk, just walk. Above all, do not wobble." -- The Buddha

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version