Germany
Joined 6486 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 2
23 February 2012 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
I'm not a fan of frequency lists in general although I do use vocabulary lists.
The one place I think frequency lists do add significant value is when learning to read or scan a text, especially in a new script.

I'm currently learning to read in Arabic and it is painfully slow as I have to transliterate most words in my head. Certainly this is not a global method of reading. Until I can capture at a glance the sounds or groupings into a word it will continue to go very slowly.

So, in reading, and seeing the same word over and over - I'm going to try to shortcut the process and actually work on a short frequency list - not for understanding, but for reading. Think of it as an attempt to develop a gestalt recognition to the 50 or so common connectors.

Anyone try something like that, specifically on a script or writing system?

Edited by zenmonkey on 23 February 2012 at 10:20am

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4843 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 2 of 2
23 February 2012 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
It's one of the methods used to teach children to learn to read English. Ladybird has a series of books called the "key words reading scheme", the idea of which is to learn to recognize the most common words in English. It has fallen out of favour because of the place of phonics, at least among politicians in the UK. Among teachers, word recognition is still recognized as valid, especially as many common words don't work well with phonics. Also, autistic children often have difficulty with phonics, because they then begin to assume that each letter has a fixed sound, and this is untrue with English.
3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version