BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 137 of 344
30 April 2014 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Gracias Crush. Yo completé cada unidad dos veces (I feel like I messed that up but that is the way it came out). Sin embargo, de ahora en adelante, voy a hacerlas más. También, la salida de mi vida española no es una opción. Un día, todas las palabras de mi boca será español. :)

Gracias otra vez.

Edited by BOLIO on 30 April 2014 at 11:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 138 of 344
01 May 2014 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Today the Super challenge starts. So early this morning I got up and watched Gremlins in Spanish with Spanish subtitles. Ok, I know it is not like reading Don Quixote or anything but it was fun.

I got a lot done last night. I listened to unit 9 FSI without the text several times. I cannot say EVERYTHING within the time provided, but I got better and better each time. I let my wife listen and she was expecting it to be like Assimil (which she says is so slow that it makes her want to fall asleep). However, she was surprised when she heard it. She said that they were talking faster than she talks. She also said that the day I can keep up with that rate of speech and respond accordingly, then I will be able to go anywhere and use the language without any trouble. It made FSI a new challenge for me.

I completed Passive 58 and Scriptorium 44,45, and 46. By the way, one of those is the newspaper report about a guy and his two sons falling to their death from a slip on a banana peel. I read it to my wife and asked her if I was missing the joke. She said it did not sound funny to her. Anyway, I also did some intensive reading. Many words are popping up again and again. I am getting a better understanding of the different tenses. I still don't know their names but I can recognize many of the "Have, would, will, did,etc). I am SO far from having it down but some flashes of lucidity within the intensive reading and the Assimil/FSI work is a pleasant surprise.

92/358

Super Challenge;
Film = 1.5hrs
Reading 9 pages (Intensive)

I will track the intensive reading pages for now for the SC and in a few months I will shift my focus from movies/TV to Extensive reading.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5810 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 139 of 344
01 May 2014 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
BOLIO wrote:
Gracias Crush. Yo completé cada unidad dos veces (I feel like I messed that up but that is the way it came out). Sin embargo, de ahora en adelante, voy a hacerlas más. También, la salida de mi vida española no es una opción. Un día, todas las palabras de mi boca será español. :)

Gracias otra vez.

"Yo completé cada unidad dos veces"
-Sí, suena un poco raro, yo diría algo como "(Hasta ahora) he hecho cada unidad dos veces" o "Yo hacía cada unidad dos veces". Me parece que se suele "completar" una unidad una sola vez, después de escucharla varias veces.
"la salida de mi vida española no es una opción"
-No estoy muy segurx de entender lo que quisiste decir, "vida española" significa "Spanish life". ¿Tal vez haya querido decir "Que el español salga de mi vida no es una opcion"?
"todas las palabras de mi boca será español"
-Palabras es plural, así que el verbo y adjetivo también tienen que serlo: "todas las palabras (que salen) de mi boca serán españolas"

Se nota que ya estás escribiendo mejor, ¿sientes tú que has avanzado?

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 140 of 344
02 May 2014 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
1) "la salida de mi vida española no es una opción"
-No estoy muy segurx de entender lo que quisiste decir, "vida española" significa "Spanish life". ¿Tal vez haya querido decir "Que el español salga de mi vida no es una opcion"?

2)"todas las palabras de mi boca será español"
-Palabras es plural, así que el verbo y adjetivo también tienen que serlo: "todas las palabras (que salen) de mi boca serán españolas"

3)Se nota que ya estás escribiendo mejor, ¿sientes tú que has avanzado?[/QUOTE]
____________________________________________________________ ___________________

1)Yo tengo dos vidas...una vida en español y otra vida en inglés. No puedo dejar (Quit learning/studying) mi vida española ... hoy, mi vida española es más pequeño y en el futuro va a ser más grande.

2) Ayer, después de salir del trabajo, Yo recuerdo esta frase. No lo sabía si era correcto.

3) Sí, siento mejor sobre mi estudios. No tengo miedo(fear/ afraid??) de ser incorrecto. Anoche mi esposa y yo decidimos a hablar sólo español en nuestra casa. Pero, la paciencia de mi esposa es más corto que mi vocabulario. :)

Muchas Gracias.

Ayer por la noche, yo tenía tres muy buenas horas de estudio. Además, terminé tres lecciones de Assimil scriptorium y una hora de "Intensive Reading".

Estoy muy feliz!

95/355

Super challenge:
2 hours film/TV
18 Pages (Intensive Reading)

EDIT: La fin de semana (mañana) yo será con la familia de mi esposa. Español,Español,Español y más Español! ¡La comida y la música serán muy bueno! Estoy muy emocionado de ir a verlos!

Edited by BOLIO on 02 May 2014 at 6:16pm

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 141 of 344
05 May 2014 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
I was able to get a lot of Spanish in over the weekend. We had fun with my wife's family and friends. All were very happy to hear me trying to speak Spanish with them. Some of them I had not seen in over 10 years and they were surprised to hear the "Bolillo/Bolio" speaking Spanish. Mostly, it was just very basic greetings and questions and English was used QUITE often to fill in the gaps. But it was fun.

More importantly for me was the noted increase in my level of understanding while listening to my wife and her family. I was able to follow so much more and while I was not ready to jump into the conversation at full speed like they do, I could see it being a REAL possibility for me one day.

When I was not interacting with family, I was working on my Assimil. I was able to do 10 lessons in Scriptorium over a four day period. I am on lesson 57 Scriptorium and 64 Passive. I spent ZERO time on the Super Challenge over the weekend and I am OK with it.

I crossed the 100 hour mark since March 17th, 2014. I realize that I need 1,000 hours more. I will get there.

103/347.
2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 142 of 344
05 May 2014 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Can you describe what you do when you say you are doing Assimil lessons in scriptorium? I have seen Prof A describe scriptorium, but I'd be interested in hearing what you actuallly do and if you find it helps.

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3867 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 143 of 344
05 May 2014 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Hey Bolio! Congratulations on passing the 100 hour mark! You are doing very well and all of the conversation practice is excellent!

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 144 of 344
05 May 2014 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
James, sure and thanks for asking.

I view it as a more intensive Active phase. I focus on the English translation of the story and try to translate it into Spanish. I write down on scratch paper what I think the correct translation is and then check it vs the book. I then compare the two and then try to understand the "why" concerning the difference.

Once I have done this, I then start to write the lesson in my journal. While writing I speak the words aloud. I double space the sentences, allowing for literal and non-literal translation underneath the sentences. In reality, I am creating my own interlinear text but the second line of text ONLY covers words or phrases or idioms that are not 100% understood and NOT every word of the story. On a handful of the more difficult lessons, I have reworked the entire lesson a second time as one long paragraph using single spaces and no interlinear text. I am speaking the lines aloud as well.

I think it helps because it is Active Phase Plus. I am working on translating, reading, writing and speaking in the one excercise. I think it is just slow methodical repetition that reinforces the structure.

I find it causes me to concentrate a great deal but in a weird way I find it very relaxing. I do think handwriting helps me in doing Scriptorium or a regular Active Phase vs typing it out. However, it might only be in my mind.

Nancy, as always thanks for your support!!!

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version