ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5810 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 185 of 344
09 July 2014 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
"Hacer falta" significa "to be needed", entiéndelo como una frase hecha:
Me hace falta un coche - I need a car (A car is needed to me)
Nos hacen falta unas manzanas - We need some apples (nota que está en plural)
No hace falta, gracias - It's not necessary/Don't worry about it, thanks. (It is not needed, thanks)

Ten en cuenta que el sujeto de la frase es lo que se necesita, no la persona o la cosa que lo necesita. Aquí "falta" se usa como sustantivo (quiere decir "lack" o "shortage") y no como un verbo. También se usa en la frase "echar en falta", el cual es esencialmente lo mismo que "echar de menos", es decir, "to miss (someone)".

La frase literalmente quiere decir algo así "The batteries make an absence to us", o sea que no las tenemos y las necesitamos.
1 person has voted this message useful

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 186 of 344
10 July 2014 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Crush,

- Nos hacen falta unas manzanas - We need some apples (nota que está en plural)

I am going to write this in English to make sure I say it correctly. The "Hacen" is conjugated in connection with the Apples and not the "We"? In my mind, I am wanting to say "Hacemos falta unas manzanas."

Bueno, creo que puedo dominar esta palabra. Gracias.

Last night I learned a lesson concerning the difference between language programs and native materials. During work hours, I will steal some time to work on my Living Language Beyond the Basics book. I was feeling happy about my level of understanding and decided to dive into Carlos Ruiz Zafón's La Sombra del Viento. In only two pages of the book, these are the words or phrases I needed to look up;

Desgranaban
Atrapada
Ceniza
Derramba
Rambla
Advirtió mi padre(should have known this one)
Un Brote
La Enterramos
Acallar
Encima
Penumbra
Andanzas (I don't feel too bad, my wife had never used this word before)
Tacto
Ardían
Batía
Sostuvo
Di cuenta
Envejecía

18 words in two pages. I was half way through an Iversen's wordlist in two pages. :(

Fue un ejercicio feliz o experimento. Pero, no estoy listo para leo eso libro.

Terminé lección diez de FSI. Pasé una semana en la lección. Me gusta el programa y me parece que logré(I had to look this word up and I don't think I am using it correctly. ..trying to say accomplished) algo cuando termino una lección.

¡Qué tenga un buen día!

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5207 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 187 of 344
10 July 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
It's the apples that are lacking to you (plural), so your first option is what you should go with.

You're not ready for novels yet, you need more of a base. At this stage I would go with bilingual texts, even if you have to make your own. It's easy to do. For a short text like Democracy Now, you can just open the English in another window. You can also open a word/open office text document. Insert a two column one row table and copy and paste Spanish on the left and English on the right... et voilà!

Democracy Now Español wrote:
La cantidad de muertos palestinos aumenta mientras Israel intensifica sus bombardeos en la Franja de Gaza. Los palestinos afirman que al menos 27 personas han muerto y más de 150 fueron heridas desde que Israel lanzó sus grandes ataques el domingo. Ayer murieron al menos dieciocho civiles, entre ellos unos siete niños. Israel realizó cerca de 300 ataques el martes, la mayoría durante la noche, obligando a miles de palestinos a salir a las calles para escapar de los bombardeos a sus edificios. Un ataque mató a un líder del grupo Yihad Islámica, junto con dos niños y dos mujeres que estaban en su casa.

Democracy Now English wrote:
The Palestinian death toll has surged as Israel intensifies its bombing of the Gaza Strip. Palestinians say at least 27 people have been killed and more than 150 wounded since Israel launched major airstrikes on Sunday. At least 18 civilians, including around seven children, have died over the past day. Israel carried out nearly 300 strikes on Tuesday with more overnight, sending thousands of Palestinians into the streets to avoid attacks on their buildings. One strike killed a leader of the group Islamic Jihad, along with two children and two women who were in his home.

The translation is free- not exact word to word concordance but you can see the meaning. Sadly, this story will go on for a while, so there is opportunity for repetition. Each word on its on may not seem like high frequency but they will crop up again in other contexts. Take lanzó (from "lanzar") for example- English cognate: to launch to throw/pitch. A baseball pitcher is a lanzador- El lanzador lanza la pelota al bateador. The pitcher pitches the ball to the batter. Se lanza un nueveo esfuerzo. A new effort is launched.   

That's why I recommended something short, regular and native like Democracy Now- with a transcript and English version available as well. It won't work if you don't listen and read every day. It doesn't matter, though you'll still get to where you want to go but it takes time. It's just my experience that the time goes a little quicker if you have some comprehensible input to go with the formal study so you can get some synergy going.

Just because the newscast is 15 minutes long doesn't mean you have to listen to all 15 minutes, but 5 or 10 minutes and maybe an effort to look at at least one story with the English- every day (or most days) would be something that could help you put what you're seeing in course world into a real world context. You don't even really have to go to the extreme of treating this like course work where you have to memorize every word. Daily listening/reading will take care of that on its own, given enough time, because it's short and comprehensible- with transcript and English.

One day you'll see a construction pop up in your course and then you'll see/hear it in a news item (or something else comprehensible) and you'll think- "Ahhhh, that's why they do it that way!".

When I advise having a look at native materials, I don't think people should start off with whole hog novels, but something small, quick and comprehensible enough to provide the synergy I'm talking about along with and outside of a course. To me, doing this kind of helps to pull it together. At first you can't possibly see how it will help. Resist that and keep going with it. It will start to come together with time. Just don't try to bite more off than you can chew. Doesn't have to be the news either, it does have to be regular, short, preferably bilingual and above all else comprehensible. Keep it short but try to keep it regular to get the benefit.

Keep up the good work. I'm not going to correct your Spanish. I can, I just feel uncomfortable doing it because I'm not a native-speaker or a teacher. Really, that's what language exchanges and writing on lang8 are for. :) Crush is really going above and beyond the call of duty here, and I know you appreciate Crush taking the time to do so. Crush is one of the good ones to give time in this way, especially since the forum's text interface isn't properly set up for this :).

Edit: I apologize, Crush I will try to remember your request in future. Lo siento mucho, fue sin querer. I have edited out the references.

Edited by iguanamon on 17 July 2014 at 6:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 188 of 344
10 July 2014 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
I-Mon, thanks for the time.

Yeah, I knew it was beyond me when I started last night. However, I just wanted to stretch a little. :) I also knew that this was not serious learning in the sense that it was not really Comprehensible. I have continued to follow your advice about Democracy Now and use it 4-5 days a week. However, what I have not done is use the English along side the Spanish. I have just listened (in Spanish) while reading the Spanish. I may try to listen multiple times. First, while reading the English. Second while reading both English and Spanish side by side and then Spanish only. It is a free form of Assimil. :)

One day you'll see a construction pop up in your course and then you'll see/hear it in a news item (or something else comprehensible) and you'll think- "Ahhhh, that's why they do it that way!".

I have these experiences...almost. I may not really understand WHY but I understand that it IS done that way. It is more of consistent recognition vs true understanding.

As far as Lang8, I spent some time on it this week and I am working on a story now for the site. And yes, I am in debt to Crush for his teaching and his correcting of my butchering of the written word of Spanish.

Thanks again.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 189 of 344
10 July 2014 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
There are a lot of good parallel books out there of varying degrees. I recently bought one called "Stories from Puerto Rico." It looks pretty good and it is not written at a very hard level. Six of the stories have audio you can download from the publishers website. Also, the publishers makes other similar books... stories from Mexico, Latin America and Spain.

I am reading the Short Stories in Spanish by Penguin right now. It is a parallel text. I like it.

The parallel text really makes it easy to check unknown words or concepts.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5810 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 190 of 344
10 July 2014 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
"Hacemos falta a unas manzanas" quiere decir que unas manzanas nos necesitan ;)

"Pero, no estoy listo para leo eso libro"
-Creo que ya lo sabes, pero después de "para" se usa el infinitivo y se usa "ese" para los sustantivos masculinos (ese libro). "Eso" no modifica nunca un sustantivo.

Se puede usar "lograr" así, pero yo lo pondría en el presente perfecto (he logrado).

Como siempre iguanamon tiene un montón de consejos útiles. En tu lugar, yo esperaría hasta que terminara FSI para empezar a leer novelas. Entonces tu mayor problema será el vocabulario y no la gramática y las listas de palabras de Iversen te serán de gran utilidad. Yo tenía todo un cuaderno lleno de listas que iba haciendo mientras leía cualquier libro en castellano que podía poner manos encima.

Ah, y otra cosa, preferiría que no utilizaran "he" o "she" para hablar de mí, me es mucho más cómodo oír/leer la palabra "they" o algún otro pronombre sin género.

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 191 of 344
11 July 2014 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
pero después de "para" se usa el infinitivo y se usa "ese" para los sustantivos masculinos (ese libro). ... Después de "para" = ese. Check

En tu lugar, yo esperaría hasta que terminara FSI para empezar a leer novelas.
... Estoy de acuerdo. Fue un "Pop Quiz" y mi vocabulario era deficiente. Me gustaría lo trato otra vez en la futura.

Ah, y otra cosa, preferiría que no utilizaran "he" o "she" para hablar de mí, me es mucho más cómodo oír/leer la palabra "they" o algún otro pronombre sin género.
...Por su puesto. Tu eres... CRUSH. :)

Gracias por ayudarme.

Edited by BOLIO on 11 July 2014 at 6:22pm

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4603 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 192 of 344
11 July 2014 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
James,

I purchased the Short Stories in Spanish by Penguin after reading a portion of it on Amazon. The dual text is really nice. After finishing FSI, I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the recommendation.

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version