United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 9 of 28
22 May 2008 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
William Camden wrote:
... I have been taking bits of A4 paper, sometimes leaving them whole, sometimes cutting or tearing them up, and writing the Dutch on the left and the English meaning on the right, folding it over, reviewing one side or both whenever I feel like it. I take it this is the Iversen method described.

I don't see why you should tear up the paper unless your aim is to make flash cards. For repetition purposes it is much more practical to have a lot of words on each sheet, and to keep your sheets so that you can look through old sheets.

I find it natural that people experiment with different methods, but in a word list method you have to have a long list of words somewhere.

Tearing or cutting the paper up - say, one A4 sheet into two or three bits - allows me to write 5-10 bits of vocabulary and their translation on each (typically 20 or so on a full sheet). I often carry these around in a coat pocket, taking them out from time to time and looking at them, and smaller bits of paper are handier. The same with cards.

With difficult or interesting phrases or sentences I want to memorise, I often write them out in large letters on these bits of paper too, also carrying them around.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 28
22 May 2008 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Fair enough, - I prefer the complete sheets because they can contain a lot of words, and if I fold them an extra time they even fit inside one of those pocketsize dictionaries that I carry around.
2 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 11 of 28
23 May 2008 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
I sometimes use the full sheet but I do a fair amount of my language study outdoors, sitting on a park bench, waiting for a bus or perhaps having a cup of coffee in a café. So it is an advantage for my cards and bits of paper to be small and handy, easy to fit in a pocket. This is less necessary when studying at home.

BelgoHead
Belgium
Joined 6238 days ago

120 posts - 119 votes 
Studies: French, English*
Studies: Esperanto

Message 12 of 28
02 June 2008 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Can someone give me a link to the Iversen WordList thread? So far i have been unable to locate it. Thanks.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6829 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 28
03 June 2008 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
BelgoHead wrote:
Can someone give me a link to the Iversen WordList thread? So far i have been unable to locate it. Thanks.

I think it's this one, in the "members' profiles" forum.

I am starting to experiment with this method myself, but it seems I will need to adapt it in some way to be able to use it for Chinese: there are three variables to consider instead of two: Hanzi (Chinese characters), pinyin (pronunciation) and "native" (I use English here) language.

And for the memory-jogging repetitions and revisions of the list it is not enough to just read them. It will have to involve writing the hanzi by hand a dozen times or so on each occasion to make them stick in memory.

Edited by Hencke on 03 June 2008 at 4:07am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 28
03 June 2008 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
Probably the first mention of the 3-column version of the method is here (18-2-2007), and there is some discussion about it in this thread about superfast vocabulary acquisition methods (March 07, - the rest of the immensely long thread mainly deals with comprehensible input). In 'my own' thread (the one indicated by Hencke) the items dealing with word lists are on page 4 and 5 (9-1-2008). Finally I have recently written an article about them at this address in the wiki that some members of this forum are in the process of setting up.

I'm very interested in hearing more about the use of word lists based on non-alphabetical scripts, - I have only used the method for Indoeuropean languages with ordinary well-behaved alphabets. It is possible that you have to write each kanzi many times to remember it, and I'm seeing forward to hear Hencke's solution to that problem. However the basic idea about training short-time recall by operating with groups of words instead of single words should still be relevant, as well the idea about training translations in both directions as part of the same process.

And yes, it is important to write the lists by hand. Writing the words manually instead of copying them on a computer gives you time to repeat them in your mind, - and even the process of writing the letters by hand may help you to engrave them permanently in your mind, which is the whole purpose of this exercise.

It would also be interesting to hear something about the problems you might have with strongly agglutinative languages - maybe you can include isolated affixes in this case? There are many ways to use word lists, and the method I have sketched doesn't cover everything - but it is the method that I have found works best for me.

Edited by Iversen on 03 June 2008 at 9:43am

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6703 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 15 of 28
03 June 2008 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
I just wanted to throw in that I've tried combining the Iversen wordlist method with my daily novel reading in Japanese, and it seems to work well. I'm a bit lazy, though; sometimes I refer to my vocab list while I'm writing the initial column.

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6712 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 28
04 June 2008 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
I'm a bit lazy, though; sometimes I refer to my vocab list while I'm writing the initial column.

The initial column? Are you not supposed to do that? If not, then what is the method for learning the words when you start out? I don't think I could learn 5 Kanji-based words and then be able to write them in the initial column without looking back at them.

I thought I would write the list first. Then learn to read them. Then write the readings in the next column. Then learn the translations. Then write the translations in the 3rd column. Then from the translations, write the readings in the 4th column. Then from the readings, write the Kanji words in the 5th column. How does that sound?

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version