15 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
fortheo
United States
Joined 4971 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 1 of 15
08 October 2011 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
Do any of you do this as you are learning a language? For instance I will hear the word 今日 and translate in my head to English that it means today. This is a hindrance cause i don't want to be thinking in English at all as i am listening or speaking japanese, i just want to know.

For instance, when i hear the word りんご I don't translate in my head to apple, i just picture an actual apple, as if that word is imprinted with the image in my head.

i realize this post may have been hard to follow, but does anyone else have this problem? and if so how did you remedy it?

I don't want to be translating in my head every time i try to converse in my second language.

Edited by fortheo on 08 October 2011 at 8:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

245 posts - 422 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 2 of 15
08 October 2011 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
This should become less and less, the more familiar you become with a word. When someone says 今日 (actually 今天) to me in Chinese, no translation happens because I have heard/said that word hundreds of times. It links immediately with my internal concept of "today". It's part of the process that you are still explicitly translating, but that will fade away as your mind continues to rearrange and optimize itself to make room for Japanese.

Edited by tibbles on 09 October 2011 at 8:14am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 3 of 15
08 October 2011 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
fortheo wrote:
Do any of you do this as you are learning a language? For instance I will here the word 今日 and translate in my head to English that it means today. This is a hindrance cause i don't want to be thinking in English at all as i am listening or speaking japanese, i just want to know.

For instance, when i hear the word りんご I don't translate in my head to apple, i just picture an actual apple, as if that word is imprinted with the image in my head.

i realize this post may have been hard to follow, but does anyone else have this problem? and if so how did you remedy it?

I don't want to be translating in my head every time i try to converse in my second language.

A lot of approaches are built on avoiding this happening. That is why, for example, Rosetta Stone doesn't use any translation. However, I think tibbles is right. Translating in your head is quite normal when learning another language, but the more exposure you get to the language, the less you'll translate.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 15
08 October 2011 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Tibbles is right, of course, but I'd like to add - this still happens to me even in English when learning new words. More than that, I actively link the new word to its German counterpart whenever I have the chance, because I want to be able to translate from and to English as well as speak the language.
But after a couple of times translating - and quizzing myself ('how do you say xxx again? what was that word I learnt today when reading that story, and what did it mean?') the link between the word in one language and another should become weaker than the link between the word and other words in the same language. With that I mean a lot of different words - ones that are similar in meaning or grammatical function like 'apple - pear' and 'today - tomorrow', more or less set phrases '今日はいいお天気ですね?' and words that make sense to be used with that one word, both adjectives and verbs. (For example red, green, yellow, juicy, tasty, worm-infested as adjectives for apple, and eat, slice, peel, harvest, throw as verbs - those make sense to me, at least.)
When I find myself translating a word even after that initial period, it's a good indicator that I didn't completely understand it or that I haven't yet encountered enough examples to allow for those 'meaningful links' to form. (Of course, I'll learn words faster when I can imagine them as a picture or sound than words that have a very abstract and maybe vague meaning.)
At such times it helps to take my sample sentences and analyze them: Would the sentence work without that word? What does adding or removing it change in the meaning? Could I use the sentence pattern and replace the word to make a new sentence? Could I do the same with other parts of the sentence?
If I still felt unsure about the meaning I'd probably try to find more sample sentences and do the same again. Afterwards I'll take the sentences or rather sentence patterns I really like and memorize them, if that hasn't already happened.

dongsen
Taiwan
Joined 4744 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English

Message 5 of 15
10 October 2011 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Sometimes I will hear a chinese sentence and I have to translate most of the words into English before I can
understand it.

Sometimes someone will say something that I easily understand, and a second later I am thinking to myself,
Did they just say that in English or in chinese?

The other posters are correct, after a while you stop translating and just hear the meaning.

Edited by dongsen on 10 October 2011 at 4:11pm

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 6 of 15
10 October 2011 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
I do it less and less the better I become at a particular language. When you arrive at that elusive state of thinking in the foreign language, you don't have to translate it in your mind into your L1.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 7 of 15
10 October 2011 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
I wonder if this might not have something to do with the way you learn words when you first encounter
them. You seem to be able to find a mental image for things that can easily be physically represented, such
as an apple, but this is harder to do for more abstract words like today.

Have you considered linking some of the more abstract words to feelings, emotions or even physical
movements instead? For the word bitter, make a bitter face. For wind, make the face you'd make if the wind
were blowing in your face. It might help you to move away from English words.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 8 of 15
11 October 2011 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
It's natural, and I wouldn't worry about it.

But I'd like to warn against something I did for a short period of time as an inexperienced learner. I tried to completely
understand everything that was going on, and would forcibly translate every word, even if I knew it without
translation. I would stop completely on an unknown word, and waste time wondering if I'd already learned it or if it
was new. Meanwhile, I missed out on other stuff that was going on when I wondered.

This bad learning technique was short lived, because it was difficult, and dropping it made things more
comprehensible. I mention it here as an example of when translation is bad. However, this type of thing has given
translation a bum rap, and has been a catalyst for lots of "no translation" language theory and products.

I recommend avoiding "no translation" language products and ignoring "no translation" theories, unless they are
targeting rare cases like i mentioned above. Showing someone a picture of an apple instead of translating the word
doesn't make it a better method in the long run.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version