atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4636 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 9 of 11
12 January 2012 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
I find working small decks with 10-20 cards easier, and I use BYKI. It also uses SRS, and it drills the vocab initially, which helps a lot.

I also only use ANKI for listening comprehension.. there are decks with only the sentences from the Core series, along with audio. The question field would contain only "listen". On the flipside you'll then see the sentence (and, if you downloaded that too, pictures).

Then again, I'm only at a Lower Intermediate stage of Japanese after 14 months of learning. My methods might be ineffective.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jarvis1000
Diglot
Groupie
United States
want2speakthai.com
Joined 4823 days ago

74 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*, Thai
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 11
12 January 2012 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
I stoped using anki. Many people swore by it, but I didn't like it. I was sure that I probably wasn't using it the right way, but I was ok with my progress with out it that I didn't bother going back.. Maybe I will try again later since I paid for the 20 dolalr I pod App.   

The thing I have learned about language learning is that you can't get married to a technique or course or whatever. Something may work well at one level of ability and then it might be a hinderance at a later level. For example, When I first learned to read Thai. I would spend hours looking up every word, and other forms of that word and get a very good general Idea of how it is used. But As my ability to read improved, This slow style became annoying and a hinderance to my ability to comprehend what I was reading.

So don't be afraid to drop something or change how you use something. I wrote a post in my log that it can be easy to confuse the means with the end. The important thing is to learn something not complete your Anki deck every day or to finish your X course by a certain week.(though they might be good short term goals) The important thing is to learn to speak or read or whatever your goal is.

ericspinelli
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5718 days ago

249 posts - 493 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Italian

Message 11 of 11
13 January 2012 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
I prefer "bookstore" over Anki. "Bookstore" provides a number of ways to organize
and format the language, but I prefer to use a classic feature called "novel." "Novel"
doesn't support isolated kanji but it comes with plenty of example sentences and lots
of repetition, plus it's mobile. The spacing algorithm can be sporadic but I still find
I remember the words I need. "Bookstore" is not a free program, but I've heard certain
environments support a comparable open source project called "library," though I've
heard "library" is apt to crash when using the in-program "note" tool.

I think it is better to read more and more varied Japanese with more and fuller context
than to repeat the same material piecemeal. Language is repetitive by nature - we don't
need an SRS - and the benefits of a natural reading experience outweigh the downsides
of irregular exposure.

I supplemented my reading with rote memorization but found that I forgot the majority
of the vocabulary that never showed up in what I read. Considering the tens of
thousands of pages I have read and the amount of vocabulary I did retain, however, that
is an acceptable loss to me.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version